Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why did Speaker Boehner resign?

A house divided against itself cannot stand? Two strong competing agendas seem to have left him unable to do much. And, it must be exhausting.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Respected Contributor

There have been numerous coup attempts on him, this one stuck.

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@newjersey wrote:

It seems to have come out of the blue.  I just turned on the tv now and found out.

I don't blame him one bit.  I could see the emotion he experienced when the Pope was in Washington, DC addressing Congress.  I am not going to get political, but he has been put through the ringer by his own party.  We tend to forget these people are human beings with real feelings and I think he is just sick of it.

The emotion could have been from knowing that would be the last time he would sit in that chair. I did notice it also.

I agree.  He's been in government a long time.  Maybe he just wants a peaceful life now.  Watching right now . . . he's emotional, as usual. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

To write a book, play more golf, and spend time with his family?  Sounds good to me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Removed error post.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom, it wasn't cancelled.  I watched most of it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@newjersey wrote:

It seems to have come out of the blue.  I just turned on the tv now and found out.

I don't blame him one bit.  I could see the emotion he experienced when the Pope was in Washington, DC addressing Congress.  I am not going to get political, but he has been put through the ringer by his own party.  We tend to forget these people are human beings with real feelings and I think he is just sick of it.

The emotion could have been from knowing that would be the last time he would sit in that chair. I did notice it also.

They asked him about that during the press conference.  He said that the Pope had spoken to him privately and told a little about what he said.  That's what made him emotional.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack

Thanks! That article was wrong then!

I'll edit my post!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

He didn't want to be involved in another shut-down attempt?? 

I heard something about his involvement with children in D.C.  I'm surprised how many politicians never want to retire.  

Honored Contributor

Mr. Boehner has been in Congress for 25 years and I think he's decided it's time to "hang it up."  Politics is a difficult profession at best (for various reasons) and when you couple that with ongoing conflicts within your own party, well, that's got to be problematic and stressful over time. 

I wish him the best as he departs and hope he finds happiness and fulfillment in his senior years (he's 65) in spending time with his family and  friends in Ohio and elsewhere.  God speed, Mr. Boehner, and thank you for your exemplary service.

I doubt it just "came out of the blue."  I'd rather think he's been considering retirement for some time.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~