Honored Contributor

Re: Why can't companies teach employees to say "We're sorry"

@sunshine45 wrote:

@catwhisperer wrote:

AT&T is the worst in my book.

i think everyone must have very unique experiences.

i have been with ATT since around 2003 and they have always taken good care of me, both in the store and on the phone.

@sunshine45

I agree with you about AT&T.  I've been a cell phone customer since 2001.  

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@GSPgirl wrote:

They might be training them to not apologize.  They don't want any liabilities.  That's why we no longer do business woth Time Warner.  Rude and unapologetic.

Interesting, @GSPgirl. We've always had excellent and very courteous experiences with TW.

I've never had anyone rude with TWC but I've never had anyone that had a clue either.

There is a reason they are voted one of the worst companies for CS.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

I have two unsatisfactory interactions recently with large companies.  IN the first incident I received a Past Due statement from Kia Finance where I have a car lease.  THe past due statement was for half of the personal property tax I owed for the 7/1-12/31 time frame.  IN Dec I received a monthly statement which included this car tax along with my regular monthly payment.  I sent them a check for the monthly payment plus the tax in Dec.  When I called them about this notice I discovered that for some unknown reason they only credited me with half the tax due.  THe rest of the tax payment they applied as a additional principal payment on my lease and then continued to bill me for my regular monthly lease payment.  I waited a long time on hold and then had to talk with customer service and then be transferred to another dept to have them correct their mistake.  DId anyone say "We're sorry this happened and that you received this past due statement in error." ? NO, they did not.

Today I was supposed to have the service tech from a company that I have a maintenance contract with for my heating and AC systems come to do the semi-annual check up on my systems.  ARrival time was supposed to be between 4-7 PM.  AT 6:30 I got a call from the service tech telling me he was about 20 minutes away from my house and had just discovered he had left his tool box at his last appt.  He would need to go back, get his tools and then drive to my house.  IT would be 7:45 before he arrived.  I told him to forget it.  I called the company to reschedule and told their customer service person what happened and that I was not a happy customer.  ONce again no apology for from either the service tech or the CSR for the inconvenience of having to reschedule and plan again to be home to wait for them to show up.

What is it with these companies where they cannot train their employees to apologize for their screw ups?  A simple apology can go a long way.  SOmething these companies need some serious lessons in.

@KathyPet

I understand your point, but, for all we know, some bunch of corporate lawyers somewhere insists that they never  admit fault, to avoid frivolous lawsuits.    

Perhaps the training of CS reps emphasizes focusing on fixing the problem and satisfy the customer.  Example:  If the problem was a computer glitch, why should a CS rep say it was their fault?  

Honestly, I don't know if this is accurate ..... I'm just speculating here.   But, considering how lawsuit happy so many people are, I think it's a possibilty.   JMO 

Honored Contributor

The do but customer service reps are human and you have to keep things in perspective.  You think your problems are unique because it's...you.  But those customer service reps hear the same questions, complaints and comments all day...everyday.  Some of them take up to 100 calls a day and let's be honest, most people who call are not polite.  Also the customer service rep's jobs depend on the number of calls they take, so they tend to want to "get on" with the things so they can pick up the next call.  Some are polite and some are more articulate than others.  Some wiill say something like "I'm sorry that happened to you", they probably all should say something like that but, I don't think notice or even care.  They just want their problem addressed.

Esteemed Contributor

I rarely have issues getting help from a Customer Service agent because no matter how angry or upset I am I always greet the agent by name and say something like hope your having a good day.  I will say I am frustred/ angry and I know it's not your fault but I hope you can help me.  It sets the tone for a good interaction and most times they will go above and beyond.  

I have been on both sides as a former agent, trainer, manager and customer of agents and believe me, if a caller is pleasent most agents will bend over backwards to help.  

Esteemed Contributor

This drives me crazy. This is the very reason I left Time Warner Cable. Their lack of customer service drove me crazy. It is very difficult for me to pay a company what I was paying them when they care so little about their customers. When I read a Consumer Reports article that they were not just dead last in all cable providers but in ALL companies surveyed, I went to ATT Uverse. I can think of many other companies that really have poor customer service too and I don't spend a dime with anyone now that doesn't appreciate me as a customer, or at least pretend they do.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@GSPgirl wrote:

They might be training them to not apologize.  They don't want any liabilities.  That's why we no longer do business woth Time Warner.  Rude and unapologetic.

Interesting, @GSPgirl. We've always had excellent and very courteous experiences with TW.

I've never had anyone rude with TWC but I've never had anyone that had a clue either.

There is a reason they are voted one of the worst companies for CS.  LOL

I read this after I wrote my first reply. Boy, you aren't kidding. No, not rude just too many time they had no idea how to fix a problem. I don't think I am unreasonable at all. I always set the tone for the call knowing it isn't their fault and being polite but too many times I have had someone who couldn't help me with even the simplest of problems @Lipstickdiva. I switched to ATT Uverse and my internet is so fast now with no down time which I had constantly with TWC. My cable isn't pixelating like it was all the time with TWC. The only problem I had with them is they pushed back installation date but didn't let me know. I haven't had a need to call them with anything. I was on the phone with TWC at least once a week with one problem or another. That is entirely too much.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

Even when they DO apologize, it comes off as terribly insincere. If l hear "sorry for your inconvenience" one more time, l'll scream!  Woman Frustrated

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~