Respected Contributor

Why ask for advice if you already know what you're going to do

Let me preface this by saying this I not related to anyone or any topic here. I didn't want to say this where I experienced it because I didn't want to start any trouble. I gave someone advice about a medical device I use and got blasted for giving an honest answer. My feeling was why ask for advice it you already know what you're going to do and why get mad at people for giving you advice you asked for. It just rubbed me so wrong. It was incredibly rude and uncalled for. All I did was suggest they try something different because it worked for me. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why ask for advice if you already know what you're going to do

I have noticed this too, many times, @Lali1.  Every suggestion is shot down, instead of just thanking the poster for taking the time to offer what may have worked for them. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Valued Contributor

I'm thinking people don't actually want advice.

They just want people to back up whatever decision they've already made.

If your advice doesn't perform that function, it's rejected. 

Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs That's all they had to do was thank you for your advice.

Respected Contributor

i was slammed when someone didn't like what worked for me.   i even stated 3 times that it would not be the solution for all.  makes me not want to help.  

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Respected Contributor

@tennpal15 True. I would not have been offended by the rejection of the advice. I was offended by the rudeness. No need to be rude about it. 

Honored Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

Let me preface this by saying this I not related to anyone or any topic here. I didn't want to say this where I experienced it because I didn't want to start any trouble. I gave someone advice about a medical device I use and got blasted for giving an honest answer. My feeling was why ask for advice it you already know what you're going to do and why get mad at people for giving you advice you asked for. It just rubbed me so wrong. It was incredibly rude and uncalled for. All I did was suggest they try something different because it worked for me. 

I learned long ago to give my opinion on a topic and never go back to read the responses. I was hurt too many times by strangers and I certainly don't need that in my life. 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@TheMemphisVette That's exactly how I felt. I left the group. 

Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I learned long ago to give my opinion on a topic and never go back to read the responses. I was hurt too many times by strangers and I certainly don't need that in my life. 

@ID2 Thank you for the great advice 😊

Respected Contributor

@Lali1  What is wrote is true and not necessarily here.

People don't want advice that is opposite of anyones given opinion, what they are actually looking for is  "confirmation of their opinion".