Honored Contributor

Why are surveillance photos most of the time so grainy and poor?

It seems that with today’s technology they could get better pictures?  I noticed this with many store surveillance footage as well as bank robbery footage. 

Super Contributor

Re: Why are surveillance photos most of the time so grainy and poor?

Businesses are too cheap to update their equipment. They could get great quality video for very low prices these days. They also need to stop putting all their cameras up high. Someone wears a hat and you don't get a good look at them.

Respected Contributor

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/headlines/why-is-security-camera-video-still-so-terrible-1.2...

Basically, how much people are willing to spend on equipment.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

Seems like banks would want good cameras? 

Honored Contributor

I was just talking about this.  Our police department asks for "digital detectives" and posts surveillance photos.

One comment said it looked like the chupacabra.  Cat TongueCat LOL

Trusted Contributor

Pretty bad when the RING Doorbell takes better video than some of the businesses. 

Respected Contributor

It's such a shame IMO that in the world we live in today, we have to have cameras everywhere. Smiley Sad 

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

They take lower resolution pictures to get more days on the storage space.  High quality images take a LOT of storage space, and they want to keep a bigger backlog.  

Frequent Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

They take lower resolution pictures to get more days on the storage space.  High quality images take a LOT of storage space, and they want to keep a bigger backlog.  

I agree with your logic. If security cameras are recording 24/7 and they did so in HD that would be a TON of storage. It makes sense that they don't.

Super Contributor

this is so true. many times they cant even identify the people which is useless to even have the surveillance!