Honored Contributor

Re: Why are some of my Amazon Prime shipments taking so long?

@JavaQueen wrote:

Yes, unfortunately, Prime shipping is not always Prime shipping. True about overseas vendors.

Are you aware that  Amazon wants to reduce the number of Prime shipments to leave a smaller footprint. That's right. You can select to have all your shipments done on one day--which defeats the purpose of Prime Shipping. However, if you have a bunch of stuff shipping, it might make life easier if you can arrange to have it all come when someone's around.

@JavaQueen 

That is kind of how I ordered from Amazon before I got Prime. I’d add things to my list and order only when I had enough to get free shipping. I always ordered multiple items together. Prime shipping won’t exist if they make people wait. 

Valued Contributor

I only order Prime orders when possible (I figure I want to get my money's worth out of the membership) but I had an issue with them a few months back. My car was broke down and I had no way to get to the store. I have nobody to help me out here, we had a snowstorm moving in and I do not live in an area with city buses. I've never taken a taxi in my life. I never even see taxis around here. We are more country than city in my suburbs. We drive ourselves around here. Anyway, I realized that my dog food was close to being gone and since I've ordered bags of dog food there before with no problems, I hopped on to Amazon to order again. I ordered it prime and it said it would arrive in 2 days. That was great, I'd get it right in time. I checked the next day to be sure and it still said it was coming the very next day. That night, I checked again and the delivery date changed to 3 days later! My dog was going to be completely out of food before then. I got on chat with Amazon and they were incredibly rude. They told me that the item must not be prime, then they realized that yes it was. No apology, they just said they were looking at the wrong item. Then they said that was the date given to me originally. No it wasn't! I am not an idiot but they treated me like one. They were horrible. I've dealt with their customer service before and I'd never gotten rude service before this. Finally they admitted that the reason it was delayed is that the seller sent it from a warehouse farther from my home than he should have. I got no apologies at all and was offered no resolutions whatsoever. Do you know what they do if you don't get your order on the promised delivery date? They refund your shipping. Since it's prime, that means you get nothing back. So they have absolutely nothing to lose if it does not get to you in time. I still order from Amazon but never again when I'm in a hurry as I won't depend on their shipping again. And never again dog food. I will stick to buying that locally from now on.

And yes, I'm sure some of you will say I shouldn't have waited so long. My waiting has nothing to do with Amazon's Prime service. My story is to simply say if you are desperately depending on something arriving by that guaranteed delivery date, you might be better off going to the store because they have no repurcussions whatsoever if that changes, unless you paid for shipping. I have had a few things change shipping dates on me recently but that was the only time it truly mattered.

Honored Contributor

@JavaQueen wrote:

Yes, unfortunately, Prime shipping is not always Prime shipping. True about overseas vendors.

Are you aware that  Amazon wants to reduce the number of Prime shipments to leave a smaller footprint. That's right. You can select to have all your shipments done on one day--which defeats the purpose of Prime Shipping. However, if you have a bunch of stuff shipping, it might make life easier if you can arrange to have it all come when someone's around.

I usually opt to combine my items to eliminate the need for multiple cartons.  I'm glad they offer the choice.  We are using/needing/wasting too much cardboard and packing material.

Honored Contributor

I don't have Prime.  I just use the $25 ships free and I usually get my items in 2 or 3 days.  

Honored Contributor

I have found I always need to check the seller location, not assume it is amazon so it is fast. Some of the purchases are sent from China, Hong Kong and Australia