Regular Contributor

Why are questions repeated down a page???

Does anyone know why and more importantly, how to get rid of the repeats????

"You never know when the last time is the
last time."
Honored Contributor

Re: Why are questions repeated down a page???

Ringer it's your preferences.  Under DISPLAY, check Linear Layout and see if that helps.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I agree with @Bird mama.

It's probably happening because:

Either:

1 -- You changed your display settings to "List by topics."

To correct it, go into "My Settings."

In "Preferences" under "Preference Options" choose "Display."

In "Format for displaying posts" check the box next to "Linear format" instead of "List by topics."

Be sure to scroll down and click SAVE.

or

2 -- You chose "List by topics" after clicking on a forum.

Just above the list of threads, after selecting a forum, look to the immediate right of the words NEW MESSAGE.

You'll see the word "Options" with a tiny down-arrow to the right of the word. 

When you click the down-arrow, if you select "List by topics" you'll see what you described.  You can toggle back to "Linear format" and it should return to a more orderly list of threads.

I think one of those 2 things will clear up the problem. 

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the directions, however this does not change the formatting that is driving me nuts.  The original question is still posted at the top of each and every reply. This takes up a lt of space, and I really don't need to be reminded what the question is every 2 inches. 

Why are the questions repeated down the page?

It gets annoying afer the first two.

Super Contributor

You may want to post this in the Suggestion Box.  They said to post our questions re: the forum there, and they will get back to us.  They've made quite a few changes because of our questions.  The header repeated over each post does take up a lot of unnecessary room.  I wish they would get rid of it, too.

NickNack1
(formerly NickNack)
Honored Contributor

Ohhhh that.  You're talking about the quote.  For example,  my post states I like goats.  You reply to my post and it looks like RE: I like goats.  Is that what you are talking about.

That's just one of the components of the new forum.

Honored Contributor

I have a theory about why each post has it's own header (for lack of a better term).  I could be way off target, but I'll tell you any way (wink).

Posters complained in the old forum when an entire thread was deleted because of a few bad comments. 

I think, in the new form that when you reply to a post, especially if you quote any of the post you are responding to, and the post you are responding to violates standards, they can remove the original and your reply goes with it.

For example, one of my forum friends posted a pic in another thread of a real well known nun who had been on TV.  The pic was not vulgar or ugly in anyway.  I replied to the post and quoted it and made a comment.

When the moderator deleted my forum friends post for as potentially offensive, mine went right with it. I think the link between the two posts enabled the quick removal of a potentially offensive image.

Then again, what do I know?

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

dooBdoo is right.

Find your name in the upper right hand corner of each page [right next to Notifications].  Hold your cursor on your name until you see a drop down menu. 

In that menu you will find "My Settings" listed directly under "Profile."  Click on it.

In "My Settings" you will find a category called "Preferences."

When you click on Preferences, you will see "Preference Options" as a list.  The first choice is "Display."

Click on Display.  Your first choice in "Display Settings" is "Format for Displaying Posts."

Select "Linear Format," scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the "Save" button.

That should fix it.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. -- Oscar Wilde
Honored Contributor

I hate this also, it just drives me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

Oh, I get it now!  Duh!

You all don't want the original title of the thread on each and every one of the responding posts.  You think it adds to the clutter.

It's funny; until you all mentioned it, I hadn't even noticed it.

But, that's me.  It takes a lot for me to be visually "overwhelmed" [for lack of a better word].

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. -- Oscar Wilde