Honored Contributor

Re: Why are eggs so darn expensive lately??

I paid $2.33 for 18 eggs this morning at Walmart. I don't think that's bad at all. As I recall that is what I have been paying for them for a while now.

Respected Contributor

I paid $6.99 a dozen a couple of weeks ago for organic, free range, naturally fed, etc. eggs.   I don't buy a lot that is organic but I'll push the boat out for eggs and milk that don't have any cr@p in them and that come from chickens that actually get to run around on the ground instead of spending their short lives in cages where their feet may not even touch the ground.  That's only 58 cents an egg.   

Valued Contributor

eggs are not as good for you as they say. I cut eggs out of my diet so glad I did. get some of your own chickens many of my neighbors do and live in a big city. 

Honored Contributor

I saw that in the last week, Meijer in Ohio was still selling the basic Grade A large for 59 cents. 

The fancier and more organic/free range etc goes up much more, but the basic egg was still cheap here. 

Doesn't sound like it will last though, based on what I'm reading here and online about things.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee, if you did not see the list of affected brands from the thread about the recall please check it and the carton UPC on the eggs you purchased.  A number of Great Value eggs are on the recall list.

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2018/04/22-illnesses-prompts-largest-shell-egg-recall-since-2010/#.WtM...

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Thanks @MarpWoman Happy . I checked them when I heard the news this morning. My eggs are good. 

Respected Contributor

On 3/28 I paid $2.18 for a 18 pack.   

On 4/9 I paid $4.40 for a 18 pack

This was at the same store.  I do live in CA but this is crazy.

Regular Contributor

Well, here In NC I can go to Food Lion and get them for under 64 cents a dozen - Aldi's is like 35 cents a dozen. They have been like this for a long time. Then do have higher priced eggs but the lower cost to me taste like the ones I use to have as a child living on a farm. The yolks are richer in color. I also have read about the salmonella in different states.

http://abc11.com/health/check-your-eggs-200-million-eggs-recalled-over-salmonella-fears/3342950/

I sent this message from the last living brain cell I have.
Respected Contributor

@esmeraldagooch

That is 24 cents an egg.   That sounds like a bargain.   A single apple can cost $2.50.   One lemon $1.00.   Russet potato over $1.00.   I could go on but it just seems like there is a lot of angst about a very cheap food item.

And no, I don't work in the egg industry.  Smiley Wink 

Honored Contributor

I wondered about the cost too. They were over $4 a dozen last week.