Honored Contributor

Re: Why are SOME people so crazed about Ebola but seem not to care about measles?

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Valued Contributor

Re: Why are SOME people so crazed about Ebola but seem not to care about measles?

On 2/5/2015 mominohio said:
Oh yipeee! Another something you all can demand that everyone must do, just to alleviate your fears, regardless of what each individual wants or believes to be 'fact' 'science' or 'true'.
With the widespread panic over Ebola, and a vaccine that could come quickly, I certainly will have questions/ doubts/ concerns about the reasons behind it (politics, money), the efficacy of it, the safety of it, and the validity of the research and testing. Doing anything else would be neglectful.
mominohio I have a question if you don't mind. Have you vaccinated your children? Of course, you do not have to answer but I am just curious.
Trusted Contributor

On 2/5/2015 Preds said:

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

That's why you get the vaccine. And you stand no chance of dying from measles.

Respected Contributor

On 2/5/2015 Dell said:
Oh yipeee! Another something you all can demand that everyone must do, just to alleviate your fears, regardless of what each individual wants or believes to be 'fact' 'science' or 'true'.
With the widespread panic over Ebola, and a vaccine that could come quickly, I certainly will have questions/ doubts/ concerns about the reasons behind it (politics, money), the efficacy of it, the safety of it, and the validity of the research and testing. Doing anything else would be neglectful.
mominohio I have a question if you don't mind. Have you vaccinated your children? Of course, you do not have to answer but I am just curious.

personally................I think family needs to stay out of these discussions.........it's no body's business if she did or did not............................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Trusted Contributor

In 2000, of the children who died in Ethiopia, 22% died from measles.

Y'all deniers have no idea what's to come if the vaccination rates don't get to 90% in our communities. Thank G-d our politicians won't let that happen. One thing I'm glad for re: our politicians on BOTH sides.

Valued Contributor

On 2/5/2015 raven-blackbird said:
On 2/5/2015 Dell said:

personally................I think family needs to stay out of these discussions.........it's no body's business if she did or did not............................................raven

I asked nicely and said, of course, she didn't have to answer if she didn't want to. But thanks for your consideration.

Trusted Contributor

For those against measles vaccine, are you against all vaccines or just the MMR vaccine? Just curious.

Honored Contributor

I am very surprised to see my home state of West Virginia on the list of states where vaccination rates are under 90%. I have always felt vaccinations were pushed heavily in my area, especially with local pediatricians and the health center. Back when my children were small, their pediatrician insisted that all of her young patients MUST be vaccinated. I seldom hear of measles in this area---even when I worked in the hospital.
Respected Contributor

On 2/5/2015 Dell said:
On 2/5/2015 raven-blackbird said:
On 2/5/2015 Dell said:

I asked nicely and said, of course, she didn't have to answer if she didn't want to. But thanks for your consideration.

yes you did ask nicely............but anytime family gets brought into one of these type discussions..........it gets ugly real quick......................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Trusted Contributor

While it’s true some people (estimated in US as 69 - 108) may have died as a result of the measles vaccine, many more would have died without them. According to the WHO, the measles vaccine prevented about 15.6 million deaths from 2000 to 2013.