Trusted Contributor

Re: Why are SOME people so crazed about Ebola but seem not to care about measles?

On 2/5/2015 Marmalade said:

Does measles kill on the same scale as Ebola? No.

The mortality rate is less, but it is HIGHLY more communicable. Plus there's the neurological damage it can do that Ebola does not do.

ETA: One in 1000 infected will get inflammation of the brain and of those approximately 15 percent will die and 30 percent will have permanent brain damage.

One in 1000 people with measles develop inflammation of the brain (encephalitis ) - 15 percent of these people die and approximately one third are left with permanent brain damage - See more at: http://www.kidshealth.org.nz/measles-immunisation#sthash.otbb2si0.dpuf
One in 1000 people with measles develop inflammation of the brain (encephalitis ) - 15 percent of these people die and approximately one third are left with permanent brain damage - See more at: http://www.kidshealth.org.nz/measles-immunisation#sthash.otbb2si0.dpuf
Honored Contributor

Re: Why are SOME people so crazed about Ebola but seem not to care about measles?

On 2/5/2015 JustJazzmom said:

Dead is dead as far as I am concerned.

Measles is a preventable disease for which there is a vaccine available. It is contagious before a person even shows symptoms and is transferable from objects in the room where a person with measles is for at least 2 hours after that person has left the room!

Ebola is highly contagious when the patient is seriously ill or dead to people touching the body.

Ebola is now undergoing vaccine study.

Oh yipeee! Another something you all can demand that everyone must do, just to alleviate your fears, regardless of what each individual wants or believes to be 'fact' 'science' or 'true'.

Honored Contributor

What is the problem mominohio? I'm sure all those Africans in those affected in countries that have ebola would love for a vaccine to prevent it from killing off their loved ones.

This ebola vaccine development has been going on long before ebola hit our news cycle last year. It's been going on for years.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

On 2/5/2015 mominohio said:

Measles is a preventable disease for which there is a vaccine available. It is contagious before a person even shows symptoms and is transferable from objects in the room where a person with measles is for at least 2 hours after that person has left the room!

Ebola is highly contagious when the patient is seriously ill or dead to people touching the body.

<em>Ebola is now undergoing vaccine study.</em>

Oh yipeee! Another something you all can demand that everyone must do, just to alleviate your fears, regardless of what each individual wants or believes to be 'fact' 'science' or 'true'.

With all due respect, many of us use solid science to develop our positions. This is not based on personal opinion nor a whim. Measles is a deadly disease that is preventable. So why not prevent it? Why should people suffer? And some will suffer greatly.

Honored Contributor

And think of it, if the vaccine is successful over there, you won't have to worry about transmission of that deadly disease to here in the USA.

Respected Contributor

Measles can have serious complications such as blindness, pneumonia, and swelling of the brain which can leave a child deaf, or mentally retarded, and having convulsions. These were a few of the serious ones. The shot was developed to prevent all this from happening.

Honored Contributor

On 2/5/2015 chiclets said:

Measles can have serious complications such as blindness, pneumonia, and swelling of the brain which can leave a child deaf, or mentally retarded, and having convulsions. These were a few of the serious ones. The shot was developed to prevent all this from happening.

I knew someone who contracted measles as a toddler and wound up mentally retarded, partially blind and confined to a wheelchair as a teenager. He was the same age as I was when I assisted him as a teaching assistant in a religious education class when I was a teenager.

Regular Contributor

On 2/5/2015 Gioiella said:

Well, you've got that right. Measles kills on a far greater scale than Ebola.

Worldwide deaths from Ebola in 2014: 8,984

Worldwide deaths from measles in 2013 (last year with figures): 145,700

From the World Health Organization: "Accelerated immunization activities have had a major impact on reducing measles deaths. During 2000-2013, measles vaccination prevented an estimated 15.6 million deaths. Global measles deaths have decreased by 75% from an estimated 544,200 in 2000 to 145,700 in 2013."

I am talking about in proportion to those who contract the disease. Of course more die from measles because measles is an air borne illness and highly contagious so more people get the disease to begin with. But many people have had measles with no complications, myself being one of them.

Trusted Contributor

On 2/5/2015 Gioiella said:

Well, you've got that right. Measles kills on a far greater scale than Ebola.

Worldwide deaths from Ebola in 2014: 8,984

Worldwide deaths from measles in 2013 (last year with figures): 145,700

From the World Health Organization: "Accelerated immunization activities have had a major impact on reducing measles deaths. During 2000-2013, measles vaccination prevented an estimated 15.6 million deaths. Global measles deaths have decreased by 75% from an estimated 544,200 in 2000 to 145,700 in 2013."

I am talking about in proportion to those who contract the disease. Of course more die from measles because measles is an air borne illness and highly contagious so more people get the disease to begin with. But many people have had measles with no complications, myself being one of them.

Marmalade - First, I love your name. Do you have a cat?

Second, did you read what you wrote? You make a lot of sense as to why we need the vaccine.

Honored Contributor

On 2/5/2015 Deb1010again said:
On 2/5/2015 mominohio said:

<em>Ebola is now undergoing vaccine study.</em>

With all due respect, many of us use solid science to develop our positions. This is not based on personal opinion nor a whim. Measles is a deadly disease that is preventable. So why not prevent it? Why should people suffer? And some will suffer greatly.

As if this wasn't explained well enough in the closed thread already, but solid and science don't go hand in hand. The protocols and practices and 'fact's that the medical profession base their practices on have been modified, changed, proven wrong, and been actually dangerous over the centuries. It is an ever changing field, where often the treatments of the time, thought to be fine and safe,are found to be harmful, or have unintended consequences.

With the widespread panic over Ebola, and a vaccine that could come quickly, I certainly will have questions/ doubts/ concerns about the reasons behind it (politics, money), the efficacy of it, the safety of it, and the validity of the research and testing. Doing anything else would be neglectful.