Honored Contributor

Re: Why are Canadian Geese so Protected?

Most native species of birds are covered by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.  We have the same problem with the dirty, nasty swallow building their mud nests on public buildings here, in addition to the clan that returns to my house's entranceway every year to nest, raising two families over the summer.  You have to transverse a pile of poop to get to my front door.   I find most of the babies dead on the pavement below the nest. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I pray they never decide to take up residence in our yard.

The mess they leave is gross.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love Canadian geese!

I love watching them fly overhead as they migrate north/south, and listening to them honk.

Sure I curse them when they poop on my car, but it's a small price to pay when it comes to appreciating the beauty that is nature.

Aren't the gosslings cute?

Canadian Geese.jpg

Trusted Contributor

I love all of nature and that goes for Canada geese.  Man encroached on their territory, so they have become overpopulated in many areas.  Humans have to take the blame for what we've done to the world.  To get annoyed or angry with birds and animals is definitely misplaced.  If we respected our planet better, we wouldn't be in this MESS. 

Honored Contributor

My father always loved Canada Geese.

He had some wooden ones on his wall and was a guide when he retired at a nature conservatory.

One year in the back of our townhouse there was a pond and the Canada Geese would fly over and also have babies there.

I became friends with them. Said hello every morning and yes I fed them corn.

They got to know my voice and would march up from the pond to greet me when they saw my car pull up in the drive from work.

When they had their babies they came up and hung out on our back yard.

One summer my son was sleeping in the downstairs that led to the back and the father geese knocked on the door with his beak at 7am. He was used to me being out there every morning.

Well, my son was NOT pleased and said I wish I had a bb gun. I told him they are protected by federal law and he said Well, there are no federal marshalls around here! I laughed as he grumpily tried to go back to sleep.

But the most incredible thing was watching the babies grow up to be "teenagers" and then after a few seasons they left. I was so sad to see them leave. The next season I was out early and across the pond, I saw the teens who had grown and now had babies of their own. They watched and I went over to them greeting them and was so happy to see them. We "talked to each other" and then they left. I didn't see them again but really felt they had come to say thank you and goodbye.

I have many pictures of them and me and also several mallard families who raised their babies under our bush and swam in the little baby pool I had for them. The mother let her babies climb up on me.

I have always loved having animal friends of all kinds as I know many of you do-frogs, birds, beavers, turtles, fish, dogs, cats, dolphins.Many birds  naturally get to recognize a human voice as do many animals. Their calls are distinct and human voices are too.

Nature is an incredibly beautiful world and it is a wonder to be part of it.

I wish we could all co-exist in harmony.

If we could even have just one incredible experience with one of the earth's creatures (aside from humans) it would be enoughSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I'd ask the same question about deer.  And deer are much more destructive to property than geese.  Additionally, they cause many accidents severely injuring people and they spread Lyme Disease.  Yet they roam free and continue to breed and apparently are protected in most areas.

Respected Contributor

Nothing in this world is more destructive then adult humans and we seem to over look that. 

Respected Contributor

@Lapdog wrote:

I have eaten duck but not goose.  I think they are supposed to be alike in taste.

They are so prolific they should be used to feed the one in 5 people that go to bed hungry every night in the US of A.  IMHO of course.

They were good enough for Tiny Tims family.

In reality, I seriously doubt that would work.

Honored Contributor

In my area they have now become a nuisance: destruction of property being #1. They are not native to my area in any way and yet, they are taking over many areas of water and running off other water fowl that IS native. Why? Because they like the area. Because people feed them. Because they don't need to migrate any more due to global warming. Occasionally we see Canadian Geese migrating but not in the numbers we used to 25 years plus ago. Funny thing (well, not really but you'll understand), during a parent/teachers meeting, one of the 5th grade teachers commented how, when discussing migration of birds, NONE of the kids knew what she was talking about when she said "like the Canadian Geese". The kids (including mine) just looked at her blankly. She explained and many spoke up saying they've never seen it. She didn't believe them. Many of the parents spoke up during the meeting and said "sorry, teacher, but when was the last time YOU saw it?" and you know what? She realized it hadn't been in YEARS. 

My county DOES destroy the eggs but it's done by county wildlife officials and they follow a specific pattern. Beyond that, playgrounds, schools, churches, etc on their own regarding dealing with them and the clean up of their droppings which are everywhere.  Hunting is difficult because they are in areas where humans tend to hang out. It's a topic that comes up all the time but there really isn't any solution now that the temps are so mild during the winter that they choose to stay year round.

Honored Contributor

Each state should have a program within their Conservation Department to "manage" deer.   Especially if they carry and spread Lyme disease.   It's foolish to protect something that not only is a danger to humans but also to themselves.

When I first moved to Alabama, they had nothing here.   The deer were overpopulated, a nuisance, small in height & weight and diseased.   By  managing the population, most deer stay within their own habitat with plenty of food and better quality DNA.   It took a generation to do it.

@Isobel Archer