Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why am I seeing so little change in posts???

From day to day there is little change, really. Only when certain vendors are on, activity seems to pick up in that category.

What I've noticed is the count of posters & guests. The guests number seems to be way down...from 20,000....to ?? just the ones who are signed in. Perhaps retailers' marketing has been put on a squelch.

Besides the new bells & whistles with the new program is the fact that whatever dissenting voice you may have for an-other-than-what-they-sell brand for whatever reason, they are standing by to erase it. But they've been doing that all along.

Also, I think people are tired of posting the same thing over & over, so they just don't participate anymore.

Respected Contributor

@Cookie06 wrote:

The think I have noticed is there are so many old posts up to a year and older showing up.  I don't know if this is the new setup or if some smart alec is pulling them from way back when, but I wish it would stop.  

What do you all think???

I'm thinking people just aren't used to the new forums and there's little activity.  Whomever is in charge is pulling older posts to make it look busy.

Eventually it should come back as posters get used to the new format.

Respected Contributor

Re: Why am I seeing so little ...

@Lilysmom wrote:
Marp2, I Like Celery, thanks for your tips. I went into my settings and changed them! ❤️

@Lilysmom - If my info helped, I'm glad!  

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:
I have browsed several times over the past few days and all the posts seem like ones I've seen days ago? What's up with that? And they always seem to be on Page 1.

I am usually one to stick it out but I am really not liking this new set up. The pages jump all over the place, the pages contain far fewer posts than before and they never seem to change. Am I missing something?TIA.LM

I think it's more then likely because a great many of the active posters are no longer posting here, they are posting at another site, that allows them a little more freedom on topics........and no worries of posts being poofed is also a bonus..................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Respected Contributor

I don't like to post and then be deleted.  Other than that, I just treat it like the old board but basically lurk.  The other board is more reliable.  I was never one to see conflict or to hold grudges.

Respected Contributor

I've noticed this too, and I see a post from ILove Hummingbirds, (Rainbows, ribbons etc.) from way back when she was getting a divorce. I mean way back.  These posts are just the same over and over again. 

sickening.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

One thing is that, unlike the previous board, you cannot see, without opening a thread, when the OP was posted.  Once you open the thread you can see what date it was started.

I posted to an old thread last week that was like that.  Somebody has dragged a lot of older threads up that way, so I imagine that was purposeful but for subsequent posters I guess it's on us to look at the date of the OP, after opening a thread.

I don't think that kind of trolling is going to stop, unfortunately, along with the usual type of attention-seeking trolling by at least one professional troll here.

Honored Contributor

@I like celery wrote:

Edited to add: The info below might already be common knowledge (I can't recall if this feature was a default under Preferences or not), but I've seen posts from people who've mentioned they weren't seeing the little symbols/icons located to the left of each thread title.  And because I can't remember if this was already a default under Preferences, I decided to post the info.  Please excuse, if everyone is already seeing the symbols/icons next to thread titles.  TIA

I just wanted to add something to what @Marp2 has already mentioned about Preferences.  I'm not sure if everyone knows this, but there's an option that lets you know - at a glance - what threads you've already read or threads that have new content added since you've last read, and/or threads you have replied to.  The feature adds a tiny symbol/icon to the left of each thread title.

It can be found under Display Settings:

- Go to My Settings 

- Click Preferences

- Click Display

- Look to the right side of page, and scroll down to "Show folder icons for new posts and hot or read-only topics."   Check the box located to the right of the text.  

- Click coral/red Save button at the bottom of the page.

The 3 main symbols/icons look similar to the images below (but much, much smaller), and will be located to the left of each thread title

• The white "speech bubble" indicates you've read/viewed the thread.
  • The gray "speech bubble" indicates you haven't read/viewed the thread OR new content has been added since you've viewed/read.
  • The "arrow" indicates you've posted a reply to the thread (also, if new content has been added since you replied).

Once you've activated this feature, if you place your mouse cursor over the tiny symbols/icons located to the left of each thread title, it will give you a short description of the symbol/icon:

White "speech bubble" = Hot Topic - or - Topic

Gray "speech bubble" = Hot Topic with new content - or - Topic with new content

Reply arrow = Hot Topic - you replied - or - Hot Topic with new content - you replied (it may just state Topic instead of Hot Topic)

I think the "Hot Topic" vs "Topic" is related to the number of replies a thread receives.

You might also see a little "lock" symbol/icon, which means a moderator has "locked" the thread, and has blocked additional replies OR the moderator has removed the thread, yet left the thread Title.  (I've seen where a Mod has locked a thread, but allowed the replies to remain, and I've also seen where a Mod has locked the thread, and then removed the entire thread - except for the title - from the forum).  If you place your cursor over the lock symbol / icon, the text states: Hot Read-Only Topic 

Anyway, just wanted to share, in case some of you weren't aware of this helpful feature. 

This is EXACTLY the kind of information we should have received from QVC - up front well before the changes were made.  Really, QVC, it's not too late.

And thank you to i like celery and others who have provided us with useful information.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

This is EXACTLY the kind of information we should have received from QVC - up front well before the changes were made.  Really, QVC, it's not too late.

And thank you to i like celery and others who have provided us with useful information.

@GingerPeach -  I'm happy if the info can help out a little.  :-) 

♥ Life is beauty full ♥