Honored Contributor

Re: Why Nearly 46% of Households Still Have Landlines

@I am still oxox wrote:

My phone is through my Cable provider, so technically it is a voice over IP, we call it our home phone.

Yes, it seems many people don't understand that VOIP or cable phone service is not a landline. I wonder how many people answering that poll even have an actual landline. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

I have to have one to operate the gates to our community remotely. If you want thru the gates you push the button next to our name and our phone rings - then we push a code in and the gates open.Most new Florida planned communities have gates that operate similar to this.Many of our neighbors complain about having to keep a land line phone for this.

@151949 - I put this on another thread -  u may wish to check an see if this has changed.  Some of the older communities here told residents the same thing years ago but years later have changed that.  I just moved to a gated community and I also use my cellphone as the number associated with it; however, my home security system requires a landline. 

I will keep my cellphone for the gate bc I live alone and there won't be anyone here to buzz me in unless I disturb a neighbor - so if my gate remote is low on batteries or doesn't work for some reason I can't get in.  I always have my cell with me and I can scroll down to my name on the keypad and my cell rings and I punch in a code and my gate opens. 

Honored Contributor

Like others have stated, cell phones are not that great for the listener and often break up and the call is hollow and weak sounding.  I don't want to have to be carrying my cell phone around. 

Respected Contributor

I keep it for a couple of reasons.  First, for others to gain access to gate at the entrace of the community, and for 911.  If there is an emergency I want to be able to have the 911 operator know my address.  I think this is important especially if you live alone.  I heard that all the cell phone 911 calls go to outside of the area and they have to confirm your location.  Also, since I put the "nomorobo" feature on my landline, I rarely ever get unwanted calls, it just rings once and poof! they are gone.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

I will always have a landline, even if it costs me additional money.  Yes, I am probably considered a dinosaur, but I am more confident with the technology and reliability.  Cell phone reception in our area is sketchy at its best.

Our present phone service with Comcast really isn't what I consider a traditional landline.   Unlike our original landline service with Windstream, when you lose power, you lose phone service unless you have purchased an additional battery for your modem.

Honored Contributor

I just got my first cell phone but don't use it.I prefer my home phone.I don't carry the cell around the house so I would never hear the ring.I told everyone to call my cell during emergencies otherwise call my home phone.I don't like talking on the phone in public and I don't like hearing others doing it either....I know I am strange.

Trusted Contributor

We keep our landline, through Comcast, for so many reasons.  First, we get a better bundle deal with it.  Second, we live in a wooded area, and sometimes our cell reception isn't the greatest.  If I had to only use my cell phone when I'm at home, I'd feel like I was back in the stone ages, lol.

Also, I just don't like to put my iPhone that close to my head for an extended period of time.  The studies go back and forth on whether it causes cancer.  But, why take the chance.  Plus, I have carpal tunnel, and my hand goes numb if I hold it too long during a conversation.

Our phone through Comcast isn't quite as reliable as the old copper line was.  And, our cell phone service also isn't 100% reliable.  I really feel better having both, as back ups for each other.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Trusted Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Lately been on a downsizing/cost saving mission.  Seems all I get on my land line are sales, political and hang ups, so I have given the land line 6 months.  If I don't get and real calls, it is gone. 

@CrazyDaisy  Those are the only calls my husband has been getting lately on his cell phone, LOL!  

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

It surprised me to learn that fewer than half of all U.S. households still have a landline-- only about 46%. I thought it was a lot more. I keep mine, in spite of the fact that the vast majority of calls l receive are scam robocalls or telemarketers (as we've discussed in another thread). I hang onto it for the security and reliability it provides, as well as a better connection than a cellphone, and the ability to have extension phones in several rooms.

Here's the link to an interesting article:

http://nyp.st/2qBp42J

Interesting that you say that because when there is a thunderstorm in my area, I lose my landline.  That being said, when we were in a bad ice storm and had no electricity I had to charge my phone from my running car.  Not sure if I would have had service had I kept my landline.  I now have chargers in my house and purse for any emergency. 

It's  not your landline that doesn't work during a storm, it's your phone,  if your phone uses electricity to operate, and your electricity goes out you get a dead phone,

If you use a phone that just plugs into a jack it will work when the electricity goes out.  I keep an older model phone handy in case there is no electricity so I can switch the phone out.

Honored Contributor

Since I'm a bit hard of hearing, I rarely talk on any phone.   I communicate primarily through internet IM or text or emails.

Got rid of my landline when hubby passed.  He was the one who stayed on it all the time!!

That was 4 years ago and I don't miss the LL.

I agree with another poster that probably half of that 46% has VOIP,  rather than the traditional LL.