Honored Contributor

Re: Why Kids Today Are Out of Shape, Disrespectful –And In Charge

@Suzy CurlyQ wrote:

Ya know it's funny but I am glad we didnt give our kids cell phones, unlimited acces to the internet (we had dial up anyways) and video games. And I had to fight with my inlaws since they wanted to provide some of these things even when I said NO! Ever hear the phrase "I will spoil the grandkids and give them back to their parents!" Well, let me tell you we didnt have the funds to provide all of the above stuff... but the family wanted, no needed to provide this stuff. Why? My kids were told to go outside alot, or they went outside and played all the time.  So, moms, FORCE them outside! TAKE away all the video games, cell phones, internet. TAKE back your family before it is too late!  You must fight whoever you need to... stop the spoiling, just stop it!!! They become thankless if you don't!

In today's world (vs 10-15-20 years ago), this is unrealistic IMO and will only encourage very resentful kids who may well lie or steal to get access.

Restrict, yes. Have rules, yes. Deny, no. For kids to have internet access and even, with older kids, cell phones, is not spoiling them, it's putting them on an even playing field with every other kid and with schoolwork.

Monitor. Make sure it's 80% school work, 20% play, or whatever percentage you choose. Give them a pre-paid, low GB amount of data/texting for phones and when it's used up, it's used up.

Take video games away during the week if schoolwork is suffering.

There are things a parent can do to limit access to internet, phones and games without just saying no, you can't use any of it.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Suzy CurlyQ wrote:

Ya know it's funny but I am glad we didnt give our kids cell phones, unlimited acces to the internet (we had dial up anyways) and video games. And I had to fight with my inlaws since they wanted to provide some of these things even when I said NO! Ever hear the phrase "I will spoil the grandkids and give them back to their parents!" Well, let me tell you we didnt have the funds to provide all of the above stuff... but the family wanted, no needed to provide this stuff. Why? My kids were told to go outside alot, or they went outside and played all the time.  So, moms, FORCE them outside! TAKE away all the video games, cell phones, internet. TAKE back your family before it is too late!  You must fight whoever you need to... stop the spoiling, just stop it!!! They become thankless if you don't!

In today's world (vs 10-15-20 years ago), this is unrealistic IMO and will only encourage very resentful kids who may well lie or steal to get access.

Restrict, yes. Have rules, yes. Deny, no. For kids to have internet access and even, with older kids, cell phones, is not spoiling them, it's putting them on an even playing field with every other kid and with schoolwork.

Monitor. Make sure it's 80% school work, 20% play, or whatever percentage you choose. Give them a pre-paid, low GB amount of data/texting for phones and when it's used up, it's used up.

There are things a parent can do to limit access to internet, phones and games without just saying no, you can't use any of it.

******************************************************************************************

I agree with both of you!

However, I truly believe parents are totally checked out long before school and school

work is even an issue! All those seeds of social skills, boundaries, respect and gazillion other things that go into raising a child happen well before a kid gets into a school.

That task falls on parents, who based on what I see alot of out in public, don't seem to be up to the challenge.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jacie wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Suzy CurlyQ wrote:

******************************************************************************************

I agree with both of you!

However, I truly believe parents are totally checked out long before school and school

work is even an issue! All those seeds of social skills, boundaries, respect and gazillion other things that go into raising a child happen well before a kid gets into a school.

That task falls on parents, who based on what I see alot of out in public, don't seem to be up to the challenge.

Agreed. If there is no pre-school (as opposed to preschool) parenting, the online aspect can't necessarily be separated from the rest - the out of control technology thing is just an extension of non-parenting and non-control.  If the parenting (including boundaries) starts early and is consistent, the rest will follow more easily than if no boundaries had ever been set.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know it seems unrealistic but who cares! Do it anyways. Kids are fine without every new gadget or video game and so just be different and bold. How in the world can you really monitor all the activity? How? But if at your house you just said no we are not going to fall into that cauldron. When they do go elsewhere it will be boring. Because an active person is annoyed with sitting for long periods of time. They will be the ones who say "come on lets go outside and play ball or chase or whatever!"  The body of an active kid is a healthy one. Fresh air heals and renews. Just don't buy into all the commercials for the newest computer, cell phone, game. 

"Life finds a way." --- Ian Malcom Smiley Happy