Honored Contributor

Re: Why Kids Today Are Out of Shape, Disrespectful –And In Charge

@Mominohio
You gave no examples of discipline, just a comment about enforcing rules and leaving it up to others to decide the consequences.
That's not discipline.  Staying after school, even writing papers is considered discipline, although I don't agree with the latter.
Apparently you had no idea what to suggest.
QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Consequences=Discipline

I totally agree. However, based on the number of teacher assaults taking place in the country I can only come to the belief that somewhere, most likely at home, kids obtained the idea that it was somehow OK to beat up a teacher.

In one of the large school districts in my state, the assaulted teachers are filing suit, as they should, against the school system and the parents of these students. 

And surprise, just guess who's  making the big " to do"? That's right, the parents of the kids who did the beatings, all on tape too.

Teachers hands are tied, whole districts are tied.

God forbid a problematic child should be discplined in school.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

Only kids are out of shape and disrespectful? I hate to break it to you, but the majority of adults are out of shape. What's their excuse?

As far as respectfulness, you need only read this board and watch the state of current affairs to see where "kids today" are probably getting it from.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Parents blame teachers, teachers blame parents.  It goes on and on.  I personally think our children's whole environment influences them more than any single component of it. When I was a kid, the tv shows we grew up watching portrayed an idealistic family life where children never sassed and parents all made wise and kind decisions.  My kids were influenced by a lot of shows where the parents were made out to be morons and the kids were savvy and cool.  Even if we didn't allow the kids to watch these in our home, they still saw them and were influenced by that culture.  We didn't even have cable then, but my kids knew all about MTV and the videos on it.  "It takes a village" and if your fellow villagers are not upholding your values somewhat, you are going to have a hard time convincing your kids that you are right.  

Respected Contributor

Parents can "blame" all they want, but they'd better be including themselves in there too.

If you have a child you'd better be able to step up to the plate and BE a parent.

While "it takes a village" sounds good, there is a reason there are those that are called "village idiots".

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

Only kids are out of shape and disrespectful? I hate to break it to you, but the majority of adults are out of shape. What's their excuse?

As far as respectfulness, you need only read this board and watch the state of current affairs to see where "kids today" are probably getting it from.

@JJsMom

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Mominohio
You gave no examples of discipline, just a comment about enforcing rules and leaving it up to others to decide the consequences.
That's not discipline.  Staying after school, even writing papers is considered discipline, although I don't agree with the latter.
Apparently you had no idea what to suggest.

I have said repeatedly that choosing the discipline, in my opinion should be up to the people of each district or state. It should be decided by people on local levels, what they want it to be, how they want it administered, what the consequences are for what infractions, they choose. 

You aren't having as hard a time of this as you pretend. 

You are baiting again.

Honored Contributor

@Kardi wrote:

Parents blame teachers, teachers blame parents.  It goes on and on.  I personally think our children's whole environment influences them more than any single component of it. When I was a kid, the tv shows we grew up watching portrayed an idealistic family life where children never sassed and parents all made wise and kind decisions.  My kids were influenced by a lot of shows where the parents were made out to be morons and the kids were savvy and cool.  Even if we didn't allow the kids to watch these in our home, they still saw them and were influenced by that culture.  We didn't even have cable then, but my kids knew all about MTV and the videos on it.  "It takes a village" and if your fellow villagers are not upholding your values somewhat, you are going to have a hard time convincing your kids that you are right.  

Very good post, and the highlighted portion, spot on.

And one reason I have a problem with the whole "it takes a village" mantra.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is a fascinating new study out from the Mayo Clinic!

ADHD In Girls Shapes Possibility Of Adult Obesity: Study

"A new study conducted by researchers at the Mayo Clinic suggests that female children who suffer from attention deficit hyperactivity disorder are more likely to become obese later in life compared to children who do not have the condition."

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/130905/20160205/adhd-in-girls-shapes-possibility-of-adult-obesity-...