Esteemed Contributor

Why Is Traveling All Day Tiring?

Daughter and I went to see my BIL today.  We left at 8 this morning, made some stops to grab breakfast, go to the bank, get gas etc. Drove 2 hours to get her sewing machine from the guy who serviced it then drove another 45 minutes to BIL's.

Visited with  had lunch with him and got back home about an hour ago.

I'm pooped and I didn't drive. My back is objecting from sitting so much.  I see some Ibuprofin and an early bedtime for this old girl. I used to make that trip a couple times a month when I was younger, no problem.

It was a gorgeous day to be out and about.

Does being in a car for several hours wear you out?

Honored Contributor

Re: Why Is Traveling All Day Tiring?

[ Edited ]

When we were younger--30s-50s--we did 3 cross country trips where we would drive 10-11 hours a day.  Don't remember feeling particularly tired.

We just did a 3 hour trip from Cedar City to Las Vegas and we're pooped.  Took a 2 hour nap.  No more long distance driving for us--LOL!!!

Traveling whether by car, train or plane is exhausting for us now.

Honored Contributor

Same thing happens to me.  After a day of riding, not driving, in the car, I'm drained and exhausted.  I had to give up my collie transport activities for that reason.  Must be too much excitement for us.

I shudder at the thought of big-time  travel through airport lines, plane changes and struggle to get settled in a seat.  And I've used wheelchair service for years.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2    Yes!   I am on my way to Pittsburgh this week to visit family.  It is a 4 hour drive.  I will be exhausted for sure.  I try to break up the drive by stopping in State College...but the older I get, the harder it is for me.  

Respected Contributor

CrazyKitttyLVR,  I find that how much I sleep has something to do with tiredness the next day.  Did you have interrupted or light sleep b/c of having to be ready at 8?  (I usually do--)

Esteemed Contributor

While we were with my BIL his oldest daughter called to tell him they were 1/2 hr. from Daytona FL.  Vacation. They left Pittsburgh yesterday late afternoon I think and drove straight through. She said traffic was light.

Not my idea of a relaxing vacation. Driving that far with a 15 and 16 year old boys, a 6 year old boy and a 5 year old girl.  Oh dear.  She laughed and announced everyone was alive they hadn't killed each other. She is 45 and has more energy and patience than I have.

Valued Contributor

It seems odd to me to be tired just sitting in the car, but that is the way it is now.  We would drive to Disney World with 3 kids (none of whom were in car seats). Come to think of it I don't believe there were car seats.  We would leave at about 3am and drive until about 4pm.  We live in Chicago.  Didn't mind any of that now I don't even want to fly anywhere.  

When we talk about those trips, my 3 children remember those car rides as torture.

Esteemed Contributor

@Terrywu  We drove to Fl the summer of 1963. Dad worked 3 to midnight so Mom packed the car, we picked Dad up at midnight and started out. 

I remember stopping Saturday afternoon in South Carolina at a motel for a few hours sleep. I think we got to my Aunt and Uncle's in Titusville about 5 Sunday afternoon.

My Mom hated riding that far. My parents did the drive one more time after they retired. My parents and Mom's 2 sisters and their DHs. They took 2 cars. They went to my Aunt & Uncles (Dad's sister) It was good they did it was the last time they were all together.

Honored Contributor

I used to LOVE car trips and 11 hours was no big deal.  Now?  Since I had  covid a couple of years ago, I doubt if I would last 3 hours--and I don't have the attention span to drive for hours either.

Honored Contributor

I'm not even the driver and a four hour drive home from the other side of the state completely tires us out.