Honored Contributor

Re: Why I'll never get the flu shot

On 12/2/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:
On 12/2/2014 brii said:

If people would stay home when they're sick, less people would be sick. They go to work, they're out and about, and their kids go to school...

Those are the people who really annoy me.

Me too.

Honored Contributor

Hey, why should I be the only one miserable? {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

On 12/2/2014 SoftRaindrops said:

From the CDC.....

Most healthy adults may be able to infect other people beginning 1 day before symptoms develop and up to 5 to 7 days after becoming sick. Children may pass the virus for longer than 7 days. Symptoms start 1 to 4 days after the virus enters the body. That means that you may be able to pass on the flu to someone else before you know you are sick, as well as while you are sick. Some people can be infected with the flu virus but have no symptoms. During this time, those persons may still spread the virus to others.

My understanding is that there is a waiting time from when you get the flu shot until it becomes effective (if it does become effective).

So, do you stay away from people during that timeframe too?

After all, you don't know if you might have the flu already.

Esteemed Contributor

From the CDC.....

Most healthy adults may be able to infect other people beginning 1 day before symptoms develop and up to 5 to 7 days after becoming sick. Children may pass the virus for longer than 7 days. Symptoms start 1 to 4 days after the virus enters the body. That means that you may be able to pass on the flu to someone else before you know you are sick, as well as while you are sick. Some people can be infected with the flu virus but have no symptoms. During this time, those persons may still spread the virus to others.

My understanding is that there is a waiting time from when you get the flu shot until it becomes effective (if it does become effective).

With all due respect, that's just splitting hairs. So you might be infectious at some point for a few days as compared to anytime within 5 or 6 months? But it's certainly your choice.

Super Contributor

I have never had a flu shot because I am an extremely hypersensitive and hyper-reactive person. I got the flu for the first time in my life last year, undoubtedly, from a sick nursing home resident who sneezed right at me from across a table. Like someone else said, I felt like I was hit by a truck. Only a low-grade fever, but intense muscle aches to the point where I yelled out loud in pain while trying to adjust my position in bed.

It was bad, but not bad enough to make me change my mind about the shot. Generally speaking, I avoid large crowds and I also practice good personal hygiene. It's the other people who don't that I worry about getting me sick. {#emotions_dlg.glare}

Honored Contributor

On 12/2/2014 kittymomNC said:

From the CDC.....

With all due respect, that's just splitting hairs. So you might be infectious at some point for a few days as compared to anytime within 5 or 6 months? But it's certainly your choice.

I don't really understand your timeframe.

I mean, the few days before symptoms show up would be there regardless. And I'd stay home if I had symptoms.

What's with the 5 or 6 months?

Honored Contributor

Each to her own - I'll never not get the flu shot again in my life.

I know there's no guarantee, but the odds are better in my favor if I get it. After nearly killing myself in two different faints the last time I had the flu, I like better odds.

Honored Contributor

On 12/2/2014 kittymomNC said:
On 12/2/2014 LipstickDiva said:

I recall someone saying that OP is Scottie.

Will I catch h&ll for saying that?

I don't know if it is or isn't.

I recall reading that last week but the OP denied it.

I have no idea, but I have realized that I've missed seeing Scottie posting. She and I have "agreed to disagree" on a number of things, but I enjoy posting with her, and I haven't seen her lately. Maybe I'm just on the wrong threads...?

FYI: O/P is NOT scottie...no way...no how...just thought I would weigh in.

eta for spelling...grrrrrr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

I don't know why, but the only people I know who have had the flu in the past few years were people who got the flu shot.

Except for ONE.

Contributor

I love Scottie but no, I am not Scottie.