Honored Contributor

Re: Why I'll never get the flu shot

On 12/1/2014 september said:
On 12/1/2014 ILikeShade said:

I got the flu shot and have been recovering from something....cough, sore throat, sinus headache. I doubt I'll get the shot next year.

The flu can include some of those symptoms, but usually there is more to it, including something that I can only describe as "being hit by a truck". Everything hurts, and you're just too weak to do much of anything.

I had the flu once, when I was 23. Came on VERY sudden (one of the hallmarks of the flu), and yes, it was like being hit by a truck. Not a gradual thing, just BAM. I was so sick that my mother had to come to my apartment to help me get to the bathroom. High fever, hallucinations, total and utter fatigue, the entire nine yards. A very bad strain was going around that year. I think it may have made me immune to some flu strains, but I'm just guessing of course. But I've never had the flu since.

Recently I had a bout with bronchitis, sore throat, and sinus infection after not having as much as a sniffle for over 3 years. First thing the doctor did was test me for flu which was negative.

People tend to want to call all kinds of things that they come down with as the "flu" when it's not.

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/2/2014 traveler said:

Gee, poofed for questioning the OP identity.

Seriously? If that's against the Standards, they sure have missed the hundreds of other posts asking the same question of someone. {#emotions_dlg.blink}

And apparently her post to me about "assuming" is gone as well, along with my response. I sure didn't see anything wrong with either of those - not contentious, not argumentative, just stating opinions. Now we can't post opinions?

Honored Contributor

I recall someone saying that OP is Scottie.

Will I catch h&ll for saying that?

I don't know if it is or isn't.

Respected Contributor

I really don't care if you don't get the flu shot. Why do you think we are?

Respected Contributor

The only reason I get a flu shot is because I care about people with weakened immune systems who may contract the flu even if they do get the shot. Visit a nursing home or volunteer with sick people and I feel I owe it to them not to spread the virus.

Honored Contributor

If you don't get a flu shot some people will call you a "carrier".

I wondered this year if the clinics and doc offices were going to give out little stickers, like you get after you vote.

"I Got A Flu Shot"

Trusted Contributor

On 12/2/2014 SoftRaindrops said:

The only reason I get a flu shot is because I care about people with weakened immune systems who may contract the flu even if they do get the shot. Visit a nursing home or volunteer with sick people and I feel I owe it to them not to spread the virus.

Honored Contributor

If I worked in a hospital or other health care facility I would get one.

But I don't, and I won't.

Honored Contributor

I would never NOT get a flu shot. And I did get my little sticker when I got my flu shot in early September. I've been getting flu shots for more years than I can recall.

Honored Contributor

On 12/2/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:

I recall someone saying that OP is Scottie.

Will I catch h&ll for saying that?

I don't know if it is or isn't.

I recall reading that last week but the OP denied it.