Contributor

Why I'll never get the flu shot

I’m 54 years old, and I’ve never gotten a flu shot. Here’s why.

The effectiveness of the flu vaccine is exaggerated. The strains for the vaccine are selected a year in advance. That’s important for you to know because researchers guess on what strain will prevail each flu season. They have no other way of knowing. And if they guess wrong, the vaccine is useless.

So, many people who get the flu vaccine wind up getting the flu anyway. But it’s worse than that because the flu vaccine comes with some pretty significant toxins, like:

• Thimerosal – a preservative used in multi-dose flu vaccines. It contains 49.6% mercury by weight.1 Mercury has been linked to brain injury, organ failure and muscle weakness.
  • Triton X-100 – a detergent and mercury derivative
  • Polysorbate 80 – a potential carcinogen
  • Formaldehyde – classified as a human carcinogen by the Environmental Protection Agency

What’s more, it really isn’t good for the very young or the very old – the folks who are supposed to need it most. For example, more people than ever age 70 and older are getting flu shots.2

Meanwhile, the University of Alberta did a study in which one group of people got a flu shot, and one didn’t. More people died in the group that didn’t get the vaccine … but when researchers looked more carefully and adjusted for other factors like existing health conditions, there was no difference between the groups.3

Children as young as six months are being recommended for flu shots, too. But get this: One study presented at an American Thoracic Society conference in San Diego revealed that children who took the flu vaccine had three times the risk of being hospitalized soon after taking the shot, compared to those who didn’t. For children with asthma, the number was even higher.

But this isn’t the only side effect of the flu vaccine. It can cause everything from headache, vomiting, fever and muscle aches to encephalitis, Guillain-Barre Syndrome4 and neurological disorders.

www.alsearsmd.com/why-ill-never-get-a-flu-shot

Honored Contributor

Re: Why I'll never get the flu shot

As a teacher, we were all offered the flu shot and I began taking it after having the real honest to ___ flu. Our fourteen year old son was genuinely afraid I was dying.

After that I got the shot-retired from teaching, now in sales, and have never had the flu again. My medical doctor also takes it. The flu is too violent on the elderly.

Esteemed Contributor

Gee, Thanks....I was at the doctors today...I received a flu shot and a pneumonia shot...I am 72....I have been getting them for several years...and luckily haven't gotten the flu...or any other ill effects from them....(hope I didn't just jinx myself)....

Super Contributor

I get the flu shot every year. I'm not worried about the remote possibility of the ""side effects"".

Super Contributor

I have never gotten a bad result from having taken the flu shot. I guess you could call me elderly. I also got the pneumonia shot this year. My arm was a tiny bit sore for a couple of days.

Honored Contributor

i did not get one, but my 74 year old mom got one and my 19 year old daughter got one because it was required at her work.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Seems this topic gets recycled periodically. Hmm...wonder if there is a shot for that.

There are two types of shots this year. Which means they have covered more of the strains of flu. One covers two and the other three.

Why instill fear that isn't real? The benefits outweigh the risk.

Esteemed Contributor

The CDC estimates that about 36,000 people die in the U.S. from the flu each year. They also estimate that about 90% of child deaths from flu are children who did not get the flu shot.

If that many people died in this country from getting the flu shot, I think there would be a huge uproar about it, and so far, I haven't seen anything. So I think I'll continue to take my chances with the flu shot.

Super Contributor

Interesting post from someone named "H*ll on earth". {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

I never used to get the flu shot, figured I would take my chances. Then I came down with that nasty flu in January and was terribly sick for over two weeks. At the time I was caring for my 88 year old father, and fortunately he always got his flu shot. We were able to prevent him catching it from me, but being so ill was enough for me to not risk it anymore. I got my flu shot back in October. A person is much more likely to get sick from contact with all the public than they are from any side effects from the flu vaccine itself. Of course there are always exceptions to every rule, but unless your physician has a reason they don't want you to get a flu shot, I wouldn't gamble with your health. The elderly are extremely susceptible and have a more difficult time recovering from the flu, not to mention that it can lead to pneumonia if not treated in time.

Trusted Contributor

Nothing but junk science and hokum from someone who thinks 30 s4econds on Google is the equivalent of medical school!