Respected Contributor

Re: Why I'll never get the flu shot

I used to get the flu shot, but it made me feel like I had a slight case of the flu for several days after the injection. I stopped getting it a number of years ago and haven't gotten the flu. Going with what works!

Respected Contributor

On 12/5/2014 kittymomNC said:

I think just the fact that there are different substances in a vaccine, in addition to the killed or weakened virus, is problematic for many. Even though the killed virus itself might not make you sick or cause reactions, the other substances may.

I've never had a reaction to a flu shot, but I did have a reaction to a cortisone shot that perplexed the doctors. I had had cortisone shots before, a couple of times in one knee and once in my shoulder for bursitis, and had no problems. Then the last time I had one in my knee, I wound up at the Urgent Care with an allergic reaction. Now they're afraid to give me a cortisone shot again because they're not sure what caused the reaction... the cortisone or the other substances in the shot.

Then I had a bad reaction to a yellow jacket sting, went to Urgent Care and was put on that 6-day course of Prednisone, which I had also taken previously with no problems. I then had an allergic reaction to that and wound up back at the Urgent Care! Now they think the cortisone in the shot I mentioned previously is what I had a reaction to, because both cortisone and Prednisone are steroids. ????? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}????

So while I fully believe that everyone who can should get a flu shot, I also can understand why some people are afraid to get them. It makes me a little nervous whenever I get mine, because I don't know if I'm going to have a reaction this time!

My experience was similar to yours. Had gotten flu shots at Walgreens for several years without a problem. Went last year as usual and got the regular flu shot. Went home and began to have problems swallowing and breathing. Panicked and husband took me to Urgent Care. He said it wasn't the shot and that it was probably the Thimerosal. He gave me, what he said, was a small dose of Prednisone to stop the symptoms. It was about a weeks supply. Had a terrible reaction...nervous wreck, couldn't sleep. Felt like I was on speed. Went to my doctor the next morning. HE said that the dose was actually pretty large and told me to stop them and he gave me ANOTHER prescription which I have forgotten the name of. It was a good (bad) six weeks before I felt better. Lost my appetite and 15 pounds. Pretty bad.

I have to go to my doc for the shot without Thimersol and I have been putting it off. It is probably too late now. By the way, I had taken Prednisone a few times before for RA and had no problems with it or in weaning off of it.

Honored Contributor

On 12/5/2014 cody said:

I think just the fact that there are different substances in a vaccine, in addition to the killed or weakened virus, is problematic for many. Even though the killed virus itself might not make you sick or cause reactions, the other substances may.

I've never had a reaction to a flu shot, but I did have a reaction to a cortisone shot that perplexed the doctors. I had had cortisone shots before, a couple of times in one knee and once in my shoulder for bursitis, and had no problems. Then the last time I had one in my knee, I wound up at the Urgent Care with an allergic reaction. Now they're afraid to give me a cortisone shot again because they're not sure what caused the reaction... the cortisone or the other substances in the shot.

Then I had a bad reaction to a yellow jacket sting, went to Urgent Care and was put on that 6-day course of Prednisone, which I had also taken previously with no problems. I then had an allergic reaction to that and wound up back at the Urgent Care! Now they think the cortisone in the shot I mentioned previously is what I had a reaction to, because both cortisone and Prednisone are steroids. ????? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}????

So while I fully believe that everyone who can should get a flu shot, I also can understand why some people are afraid to get them. It makes me a little nervous whenever I get mine, because I don't know if I'm going to have a reaction <em>this time</em>!

My experience was similar to yours. Had gotten flu shots at Walgreens for several years without a problem. Went last year as usual and got the regular flu shot. Went home and began to have problems swallowing and breathing. Panicked and husband took me to Urgent Care. He said it wasn't the shot and that it was probably the Thimerosal. He gave me, what he said, was a small dose of Prednisone to stop the symptoms. It was about a weeks supply. Had a terrible reaction...nervous wreck, couldn't sleep. Felt like I was on speed. Went to my doctor the next morning. HE said that the dose was actually pretty large and told me to stop them and he gave me ANOTHER prescription which I have forgotten the name of. It was a good (bad) six weeks before I felt better. Lost my appetite and 15 pounds. Pretty bad.

I have to go to my doc for the shot without Thimersol and I have been putting it off. It is probably too late now. By the way, I had taken Prednisone a few times before for RA and had no problems with it or in weaning off of it.

Prednisone and drugs like it can be lifesavers, but I'm with you, taking it is awful.

I'm glad you're OK now, cody. BTW, weight GAIN is very common. Like you, I lost weight on heavy doses of it, 18 pounds in 9 days {#emotions_dlg.scared}

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

On 12/5/2014 NoelSeven said:
On 12/5/2014 cody said:

So while I fully believe that everyone who can should get a flu shot, I also can understand why some people are afraid to get them. It makes me a little nervous whenever I get mine, because I don't know if I'm going to have a reaction <em>this time</em>!

Prednisone and drugs like it can be lifesavers, but I'm with you, taking it is awful.

I'm glad you're OK now, cody. BTW, weight GAIN is very common. Like you, I lost weight on heavy doses of it, 18 pounds in 9 days {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Baaaad stuff. I will never take it again. Never. My head was spinning like a top and I felt like Linda Blair in The Exorcist!

Respected Contributor

By the way Noel, I am glad to see you back! They probably miss you at the coffee shop though. Smile

Honored Contributor

On 12/5/2014 cody said:
On 12/5/2014 NoelSeven said:
On 12/5/2014 cody said:

Baaaad stuff. I will never take it again. Never. My head was spinning like a top and I felt like Linda Blair in The Exorcist!

It's infamous for that Linda Blair effect!!! But it did save my vision and possibly my life last year Smiley Happy Thank you for the welcome back. Smiley Happy
A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices