Respected Contributor

Re: Why I Shop Amazon and not B&M

I had to drive 50 to 70 miles to shop at a Dept. store. Those stores have closed. Now I have to drive  100 miles. I live in a small town of 5000. That was it, no more. We have  Walgreens, Walmart, four Dollar stores in 10 mile radius, a decent Supermarket and on line shopping. Wal-Mart is free shipping with $35 also.

I can't believe how fast things come from Amazon. I ordered a phone case last week and it did not fit even though I ordered for my phone model. UPS picked up the less than $10 Item the next day  from my home and refund noted  right after pick up. Items come even faster than expected on most orders. CS replies quickly when contacted.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I continue to shop B&M when I can.  Amazon is not always the cheapest and I dislike their pricing games.  I don't order enough to justify pre-paying for my shipping, which is what Prime essentially is.  I also no longer have faith that what I am receiving from Amazon is legit merchandise.  There are too many fake items.

There are also some things I would buy from E-bay and some I wouldn't.  I personally will never buy make-up, haircare, skincare, etc. from E-bay because there are far too many fake, old and knock-off items being sold in those categories on e-bay.  

I have paid more for certain items in order to buy locally.  For example, I always get my contacts from my eye doctor even though I could get them cheaper ordering on-line.  I choose to support him and I know if there is any issue with my contacts, I can go see him.  

That's not to say that I don't order my fair share from Amazon.  I just placed an order from them Sunday night.  However, while I did get free s/h because I ordered over $25.00 worth of items, my items aren't scheduled to be delivered until sometime between the 17th and the 22nd.  All are being fulfilled by Amazon so that isn't very good shipping time.  

As far as Wal-Mart, since it was mentioned.  There is one food item I buy from there because they are the only store that carries it.  The last time I was in there to pick it up, I decided just to grocery shop there.  I was astounded at how much the prices had risen on their food.  I ended up buying just the one item I went in for and going to my usual grocery store.  They aren't cheap either but at least I earn gas perks.    

Honored Contributor

Went in to Target yesterday to get coin wrapper for my granddaughter who won the money in my piggy bank.  Every few years the pig is full and one of the grands gets it.  This time it was 290.00!,   I needed coin wrappers as the deal is...they have to count, sort, roll them and take to bank to get bills.  I dont allow then

m to do a coin changer at store. Anyway, They said the no longer sell coin wrappers or coin machines. 🤬

so I went home, ordered on amazon.  They were here today 

Respected Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

Went in to Target yesterday to get coin wrapper for my granddaughter who won the money in my piggy bank.  Every few years the pig is full and one of the grands gets it.  This time it was 290.00!,   I needed coin wrappers as the deal is...they have to count, sort, roll them and take to bank to get bills.  I dont allow then

m to do a coin changer at store. Anyway, They said the no longer sell coin wrappers or coin machines. 🤬

Wouldn't your bank give you coin wrappers for free?  The bank will put them thru the coin machine anyway.  People put pennies in rolls of dimes.  Nickles in rolls of quarters.

Esteemed Contributor

Totall agree about Amazon.  If I can find something in a locally-owned

B & M, I will get it there to support their business.   But I am sick of shopping in the dept stores or franchise stores, I should say, with 2 sales people and crummy stuff.   Did I state on here that two days before Christmas one of our Macy's had one register open?  One of the Macy's, the women's Macy's,  has kids, shoes, women's clothes, cosmetics/fragrance;  the other is men's clothing, luggage, furniture, towels/bedding and kitchenware.  They have closed off the top floor of both stores (they were three-story).  In the men's Macy's they have furniture on the second floor (ghost town) and everything else on the first floor.  That is the floor that had the one register open two days before Christmas to cover all of that stuff.  Clearly they are just killing time until the store is closed down altogether.

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@shoekitty   The Dollar Tree stores in my area sell coin wrappers. I know that because it's where I used to purchase them. Most of the banks no longer have coin counting machines and even before they removed them, they didn't accept coins wrapped. They had to spend too much time unwrapping them before they could put them in the machines. This is their way of forcing people to have to use the coin counting machines in stores.

I really like that you require your grandchildren to wrap/count "their" money after it's removed from your pig. 

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

I have had only one bad experience on Amazon but I am not a prime member and try to avoid Amazon now. I ordered a used book from a seller and the shipping was extremely slow...but it arrived in good shape so no biggie. I began getting phone messages from the seller demanding that I post a 5 star review or he wouldn’t be allowed to sell any more books on Amazon. He called repeatedly and I blocked his number. It was scary, actually. I didn’t do a review at all..if I order on Amazon now, it is from a store or another company I recognize.

@lovesrecess 

Several bad experiences on Amazon too....and one similar to yours with a seller.....  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do a combination of shopping in BOTH local stores and online (but not Amazon, its no longer an online option for me....had too many bad experiences)......

local shopping is fun, and I like to see, feel, touch the merchandise, examine the quality.....I like to get out, walkabout and shop......thankfully my city has many retail options to chose from...... I realize some dont......

There have been occasions when an item I purchased online has not lived up to expectations and it's a HASSLE to return.....Woman Frustrated

Missing deliveries/Porch pirates....and there have even been reported news cases of Amazon employees taking photos confirming delivery and then coming back later and stealing the packages.......

Comparison shop....just because its online and you have a one day delivery that doesnt necessarily mean you are getting the best deal and paying the LOWEST price!  Many local stores offer great deals and great sales!!!! 

Image result for cat shopping

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

We have been members of Prime from the very beginning.  90% of my shopping is from Amazon.   I do my weekly groceery shopping on Amazon Fresh.  Never have to leave the house.  Foods comes right to my door.  The service is free. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you, ID2 for your comment, I agree completely.  Well said.