Honored Contributor

Re: Why I Shop Amazon and not B&M

@lovesrecess 

I have had bad experiences with sob stories from vendors for me to post a review. Not in a couple uears though.  It made me so mad I refused.  The emails,about 4 of them got worse and worse.  It was so odd.  I did have one vendor call me, which I wondered how he got my phone number. I called amazon and reported them. The one with the repetative emails was scary, but made me more mad than scared.  I asked amazon, "what are you demanding of these sellers that they use such invasive tactics".   They blamed it on seller alone.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My days of B&M shopping are over and I happy to say it.  Occasionally, if I am out and about, I might stop in a local store and buy something.  I buy almost everything online now and Amazon and the shopping channels get the lion's share of my shopping dollars.  To be honest, price isn't the deciding factor.  Product selection and the convenience of having my purchases delivered right to my door are why I shop online.  Also time.  I love that my weekends belong to me now.  I'm not traipsing from store to store; walking up and down aisles and standing in checkout lines.  As for Ebay.  Ebay doesn't compare with Amazon by any stretch of the imagination.  They are two completely different things.   

Honored Contributor

I usually shop for necessities only. I like Target, Walmart, Macy’s and Sam’s Club for online ordering and fast shipping. Amazon occasionally, but in my area shipping takes longer than the other places. 

Honored Contributor

I try to shop locally, I do for food and big items like furniture. I use Chewy for pet food and those very expensive flea collars which even WalMart in my area does not stock. I never did shop the expensive boutique shops for clothes in my area. I like Amazon, depends on what I'm interested in, I do shop mostly online simply because it's not available locally.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
I have bought many books from Amazon and was the only time I had any problem at all. The seller told me Amazon required sellers to have x number of top reviews or they were dropped as a seller or they charged them more money. I had no idea. I rarely do reviews unless something iseems like a rip-off. Fortunately, I don’t have to do that very often.

If you are open to used books, I use SecondSales dot com to build my library.

Honored Contributor

I do not shop on Amazon and have my reasons.  I live in an area where there are so many stores and a variety of them.  I love to be out and about and I have said this many times before .  My shopping experiences have been enjoyable and I always find what I need.  Maybe once in awhile I have a problem but for the most part, I am fine.

As long as I can drive I will shop at stores.  I want to support the people who work in these stores because I hate seeing people being put out of jobs and stores closing  I am well aware of the convenience of on line shopping but for me being out, interacting with people or just being among people is important.  I also believe there is room for both options of shopping.  To each their own.

Honored Contributor

Re: Why I Shop Amazon and not B&B

@lovesrecess wrote:
I think Walmart shoppers are willing to overlook disinterested employees and all the other things that come with Walmart so they can pay less for things. I detest Walmart but sometimes must go there just to get something I can’t find elsewhere. They now have robotic sweepers that travel the aisles....and workers who sit and talk on their iPhones.....such a study in contrast!

Sometimes you just want to go to a store with good customer service.  I did a little shopping at Target, what a contrast.  Great customer service.  I always go to Barnes and Nobel at Christmas time.  Their customer service is the best Smiley Happy Barnes and Nobel is always busy.  

Honored Contributor

I have never liked shopping at B & M stores.  Always spent too much and rarely found what I wanted!!!  Just a waste of time!!!  Love Amazon.  I live within a mile of 2 large drugstores but prefer to order deodorant, coughdrops, heartburn stuff, toothpaste, etc - even Qtips from Amazon.  Just about anything I need can be found there.  Much more convenient.  I don't really trust Ebay as many sellers sell inferior or fake products.  

Honored Contributor

Aww its such a shame you all won't support your local businesses. It's a crying shame. I live in a community where we all keep the small businesses thriving! I know the owners and would rather help their family than the CEO of a big box company buy another private plane. Get it??

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why I Shop Amazon and not B&B

I always liked shopping at small local businesses and later outlet malls. I shopped at a Bed & Bath outlet long before my town got a real store. 

Today most local stores are replaced with WM and Amazon. I buy at Amazon and a few of my favorites online vendors.

I am not a fan of Walmart. Large cities do not have WM, and I would have to drive 6 miles in heavy traffic to buy milk and eggs, forget it. 

Just call me old school. I will miss the small businesses.