Honored Contributor

Re: Why I Like But Don't Believe in "Free" Shipping

@cjm61 .............I like your positive outlook and its a good thing.  However if the item was $6.00 you can bet that a percentage of the $6.00 covered shipping, cost of shipping to the retailer, their cost of the item, labor to make the product and profit for the retailer.  Its all included in the price of the item.  I learned this information when I worked for a short period of time in retail.  I hated every minute of it so I did not last long in the retail world.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner   Agree that the price of s/h is already factored into the price of the item.  Any additional charges are pure profit.  It would be better if QVC cut their on air expenses, i.e., eliminate hosts, fancy sets, etc. and  always offered free shipping and frequent sales.  

Trusted Contributor

But then there'd be another uproar by the people who watch QVC 24/7 for company or entertainment.  So that could never happen @kaydee50 

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@Sooner   Agree that the price of s/h is already factored into the price of the item.  Any additional charges are pure profit.  It would be better if QVC cut their on air expenses, i.e., eliminate hosts, fancy sets, etc. and  always offered free shipping and frequent sales.  

@kaydee50 Would be nice if, but I doubt if all that would make a significant difference in what we pay.  Think of all the millions of items, and how much difference does a 2 percent difference make in each item?  And QVC isn't known for big sale price cuts anyway.

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner IF the price is lower with FS, of course, I would purchase the item on these days. I don't purchase more on FS days, it depends on the best price of the item, when I need the item and how much I need it. It ultimately depends on the best price for ME. Free shipping definitely is an incentive if it meets my needs.

We all must determine our price point, if it is with FS then it is a good value for the buyer.  We never know the lowest point a retailer will go but I can be assured QVC will not sell an item at $2. 

Frequent Contributor

I agree with we pay shipping one way or another.  But, it stinks that I can buy an item today and a new customer buys the same item for the same price.  They get free ship and I don't.  When it's free ship day for all they may raise the price but its an even playing field.  

Esteemed Contributor

It's nice that there are posters to whom $3.50, $5.50, $7.50 and more means absolutely nothing and can be readily ignored and dismissed.   Those charges mean a great deal to me ( and, apparently,  many other posters.)

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

It's nice that there are posters to whom $3.50, $5.50, $7.50 and more means absolutely nothing and can be readily ignored and dismissed.   Those charges mean a great deal to me ( and, apparently,  many other posters.)

@Johnnyeager My point is that is sounds like a big deal to say FREE SHIPPING!!!!   While if you are buying a $74 pair of pants and they said on sale for $3.50 off it might not excite you so much.  Mark it down 10 percent and that's twice as good a deal.

But then they would never take 10 percent off for a day. I think QVC banks on playing mind games rather than really giving people a discount that amounts to much.  

Valued Contributor

Is not believing in free shipping like not believing there is a sweet hereafter?

I believe I saw a pair of Clarks Caroline Step mules here on the Q for $78.00 plus $5.50 shipping. I found the same Clarks mule on the Kohl's website for $54.00, free shipping with a $35 purchase. So I ordered them from Kohl's. I saved $24 on the mules and $5.50 on shipping.

So actually I do believe in free shipping. As far as I can understand, it's a thing. I trust that Kohl's will work it out.

Honored Contributor

@laluzdelmundo wrote:

Is not believing in free shipping like not believing there is a sweet hereafter?

I believe I saw a pair of Clarks Caroline Step mules here on the Q for $78.00 plus $5.50 shipping. I found the same Clarks mule on the Kohl's website for $54.00, free shipping with a $35 purchase. So I ordered them from Kohl's. I saved $24 on the mules and $5.50 on shipping.

So actually I do believe in free shipping. As far as I can understand, it's a thing. I trust that Kohl's will work it out.

@laluzdelmundo My mind says the mules were $83.50 on QVC and $54 on Kohl's.  At least that's what they cost. It's all about what comes out of my bank account.