Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Why Does MasterCard, Visa Etc. Charge An Extra Fee For There Gift Cards?

I usually don't buy GC but this year I am stumped for one of my relatives and was going to get him a Mastercard GC so her could buy what  he wanted  but I noticed a $9.00 fee to buy it  written on the top of the card. What do these cards charge a fee and others are free? 

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Why Does MasterCard, Visa Etc. Charge An Extra Fee For There Gift Cards?

I don't get it either.  It's one of the reasons I don't buy those cards.  How about an Amazon gift card or even Home Depot? 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I buy my visa gift cards from my bank. They charge a $4 fee because people are willing to pay it.  I’ve never seen a fee as much as $9.

The retail store gift cards don’t charge fee. But then, you run the risk of the store going out of business and being stuck with a useless gift card.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

There are costs associated with issuing gift cards.  Most stores absorb them as a cost of doing business since the money will be spent in their store.  When issuing a Visa or MasterCard gift cards those costs are passed on to the buyer since that is the only way to recover them. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama   Simple and easy -- they want to make money!  ho! ho! ho!   This the season to be jolly.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Maybe I'm old fashion, but, why not just send money?  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I only buy retail gift cards.   

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

What timing! I just picked up 2 mastercard giftcards at Stop & Shop a short time ago while doing grocery shopping. $5.95 activation on each one. I was carping to the register lady about it and she told me that if you get the ones with a fixed amount already on them (that's what I got) they cost less that the ones you buy and choose the amount of money you want to put on it. Can't remember 100% for sure but think she said those can go as high as $9.95 depending on the amount. These are for each of my son's girlfriends along with a small gift. Feels okay to me giving cash to my kids & grandkids, (daughter's kids who are no longer children) but something just doesn't feel right about giving cash to the girlfriends so giftcards is what it will be.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Thank you everyone!! Much appreciated!