Esteemed Contributor

Why Does It Seem Like More People Die At The End Of The Year?

I appologise if the question seems insensitive, but I genuinely am curious as to why it seems like more people pass away in Nov/Dec, than at any other time of the year.

Thoughts?

Theories?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Re: Why Does It Seem Like More People Die At The End Of The Year?

According to the Washington Post:

The deadliest day of the year is almost upon us. April may be the cruelest month, per Chaucer Eliot*, but it isn't the deadliest. That honor goes to January. The seasonality of death — more deaths in the winter, fewer in the summer — is a well-established and long-running public health mystery.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Although an arbitrary marker, the conclusion of the year perhaps goads those who are weakening to end with the year.  There might be a sense of completion.

However, I once read that people tend to die within three months of their birthday -- either three months before or three months after.  Oftentimes I've seen that people pass not long after an important milestone date in their life, such as their birthday or their wedding anniversary.  (Anecdotal information.)

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Although an arbitrary marker, the conclusion of the year perhaps goads those who are weakening to end with the year.  There might be a sense of completion.

However, I once read that people tend to die within three months of their birthday -- either three months before or three months after.  Oftentimes I've seen that people pass not long after an important milestone date in their life, such as their birthday or their wedding anniversary.  (Anecdotal information.)

OK.  But three months either side of your birthday is 6 months.  So you have a 50/50 percent chance of that happening anyway. . . 

Honored Contributor

Because they have bad timing?

Honored Contributor

Sooner,

You're right.  So, whoever wrote that realized he or she had a fairly safe statement.

Super Contributor

Lowest Vit D levels of the year, my theory.

Esteemed Contributor

My Dad passed away 4 years ago Dec 28.  I think he wanted to make it through the holidays.  He was ill a long, long time.

about 20 years ago when I was working in medical insurance, we noticed a lot of spouses would die just a few months apart.

Honored Contributor

Any doctor, especially ER doctor, will say....Holiday Heart Attacks.

Not just the stress, but the food.

All the fat & sugar consumed from November-December

has lasting affects for future holidays or devistating effects now.

And many think...'just this once'....and boom. 
So many unhealthy people...their splurge meal might be their last.

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819   I don't know the answer to your question, however, it seems like there are so many deaths between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Very sad.

I have often wondered if lonliness plays a part in some.