Respected Contributor

Re: Why Do Some People Not Want to Reveal Their Age?

I really don't know the answer to your question @Anonymous032819  other than some may consider someone asking them about their age a matter of privacy.

I guess this question can go both ways as I still get carded at the movie theater. When they look at my ID they then look at me as to ponder if the ID may be fake. 

Respected Contributor

Why does our age have anything to do with anhything?

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Why are some people afraid of getting old(er)?

I'm not afraid to say my age.

I am 48.

Yet, some people refuse to say how old they are.

Why?

There's no "shame" in being the age that you are.

I even work with some who won't say how old they are.

I just don't get it.

There was one poster, a long time ago, who posted that she was going to try to get her birth date changed on her birth certificate to reflect a younger age!

Why are some people so afraid to reveal their age?

@Anonymous032819 

Why in heaven's name do you think you are entitled to personal information from people who you aren't even close to?   

Just because someone is rude & asks personal questions doesn't mean anyone has to answer them.   Good grief!

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Why are some people afraid of getting old(er)?

I'm not afraid to say my age.

I am 48.

Yet, some people refuse to say how old they are.

Why?

There's no "shame" in being the age that you are.

I even work with some who won't say how old they are.

I just don't get it.

There was one poster, a long time ago, who posted that she was going to try to get her birth date changed on her birth certificate to reflect a younger age!

Why are some people so afraid to reveal their age?

Somebody was going to get her birth date changed on her birth certificate to reflect a younger age? Who does that? I'm just guessing, but don't think that's impossible.

Valued Contributor

@Anonymous032819 For one thing date of birth is just another piece of the identity theft puzzle. For another, it's no one's business. Neither is the amuont of hourly wage, or salary.  Why would anyone even ask those types of questions? "Hi, my name is... by the way how old are you" is not the friendliest greeting. People have gotten fired for being at or over a certain age. People over a certain get talked around instead of talked to. Ageism is very prevalent. You get treated much more differently just because someone "thinks" you are old. You can't help looking your age in some cases, but you don't have to confirm it by announcing what your age is. If you have never been treated like the other person thinks you are old, wait a bit you will later. Old people are stupid, they don't have a clue about things that are important like electronic gadgets, that is the opinion of guys in the electronics department of any store. Hopefully not all of them, but many have that idea and they treat you like you are too dumb to ever figure out anything. 

Honored Contributor

It doesn't bother me at all.  I'm 63 and in a little more than 2 weeks I'll be 64.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

Nobody has ever asked me age.  Except in medical circumstances.  Otherwise, it’s rude.  But I am not ashamed of my age.  I have already lived a long life.  I share my age here and no, I am not paranoid about someone stealing my identity from that.  Others do the same.  I take care of myself, my health and my appearance.  Most of all, I care about other people very much.  I still have a keen interest in the world.  

At 75, I still have much to live for.  My dear DH (married almost 53 years), my children, grandchildren, relatives and friends - I am so very grateful for.  I long for justice and peace in the world, and my faith in God picks me up when I get down.

There’s an old joke I aspire to.  When I wake up in the morning, and plunk me feet on the floor, I want the devil to say, “D—-  it, she’s up.”  Online here I am serious all the time, but in life I am well known for my sense of humor.  Really.

Trusted Contributor

Honored Contributor

I never understood it either.  It is what it is.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

This post brings to mind a funny story.  I would say this was probably in the 70s. My SO's aunt was stopped for a traffic violation and she refused to hand over her license to the cop and held her hand over the birthdate.  She told him he had no business knowing her age.  That cop found it so amusing he didn't even give her a ticket.  This story was told by SO's aunt who was the SIL of this woman who was with her at the time.   Not something anyone could get away with today.   Age is harder to hide now.  

I'm 67 and will tell anyone.  Even when I tell my age I am never treated as a feeble old person because I don't present myself as one !!