Respected Contributor

Re: Why Do People On Talk Shows Say...

I think it indicates the "offenders"seeming state of mind.  They were "comfortable" telling and out and out lie. Looking someone straight in the eye and standing there or sitting right there like they are not in the wrong about something.  "Bold as Brass" is another one. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

This post makes no sense to me at all.
Honored Contributor

I'm not understanding this at all.

LOL

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

I'm not understanding this at all.

LOL

@Bri369

Even most people who have said what they think it might mean are incorrect. I’m not going to try to explain because I don’t think I’d be successful. Only those who have lived where it is normal conversation seem to get it. It appears to be a regional phrase used in some areas but not in others. Definitely not new. 

Respected Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

Maybe for the same reason law enforcement refers to a suspect as "gentleman"?

Sorry to go a bit O/T, but that one...that one really bothers me!

I have not heard or noticed the phrase in the original post so cannot comment on it.

I think law enforcement may use the word 'gentleman' (also ladies /lady) for their own mindset to keep the decorum in a situation that is chaotic  and disorderly. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Anything is better than "like."  Whatever.  Woman Wink

Edit:  Let me say that I am sick sick sick of hearing people start every sentence with "So".  So what is that all about?  Have you noticed it?  That seems to have popped up about 10 years ago or a little more.

Is that popular where you live?  It bugs me to pieces sometimes. 

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkrITA!  Steve Wilko could be standing and a guest might say "don't sit there and accuse me."  

Yes it does bother me because it is totally unnessary.  Thank you all for your thoughts on this!

Respected Contributor

Why would you answer this post if you don't understand it?

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I haven't heard the phrase.  I would say "she sat there" only if she was actually sitting there.

That is the only time I would use this too.  It's just an observation and I have lived all over the USA so it may be common in certian areas.

Valued Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Anything is better than "like."  Whatever.  Woman Wink

Edit:  Let me say that I am sick sick sick of hearing people start every sentence with "So".  So what is that all about?  Have you noticed it?  That seems to have popped up about 10 years ago or a little more.

Is that popular where you live?  It bugs me to pieces sometimes. 

I first noticed this phenomenon a few years back and it quickly took on a life of it's own.  Agnes is asked where she bought her shoes.  Her answer, "So, I found them at the cutest boutique in Pleasantville."  Or, Jim what are your thoughts?  Jim's answer, "So, I have no thoughts."

I think it's supposed to be cool but it sounds ridiculous.