Honored Contributor

Why Do I Bother with Best Buy

I went to Best Buy today to buy a computer mouse and a Tracfone refill card. I had to get on line to enter the store. There is never anyone to help you, they don't care if you're wandering aimlessly through the store. Anyway I had two Logitech mice in my hands, I wanted to know the difference between the two. I finally ask a sales rep what the difference is, he says they're basically the same. Well, thank you so much for clearing it up for me, not!! I was so annoyed I took myself over to Target and bought both items there. I feel Target values their customers, Best Buy doesn't seem to care.

Honored Contributor

Re: Why Do I Bother with Best Buy

It's too bad that Best Buy is the only electronics store you can go to.  There use to be the Good Guys and others and they all closed.  I agree that it is not easy to get help at Best Buy.  I actually do my shopping at Target for electronics and wish they would expand the dept.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

Funny you should say this.  I order from Best Buy often because they ship so quickly or their curbside pick up is convenient  but haven't actually shopped in the store in a few years.  Hubby and I decided to walk into Best Buy to purchase a case for our iPad.  I asked the sales person in the Apple section a question about the Apple Pen - basically he just pointed us to the table where they were located.  No trying to get a sale.  We wandered elsewhere through the store and didn't get help.  

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 I think that with any of the chains, it’s the individual employees we encounter that determine how we feel about them.

i have just ended years of being a snowbird so I have often shopped in the same chains in both areas.  Sometimes except for chain-owned merchandise, you wouldn’t think they are the same company.  

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 I don't know where you live but I use to shop at The Wiz and Circuit City. My brother would shop at Crazy Eddies in Manhattan for records, I don't recall if they had electronics. Maybe Best Buy knows you don't have a lot of options so they don't have to treat their customers well.

Honored Contributor

I love Best Buy! 

I haven't been inside the store in years though. 

I shop online and either have it delivered (one of the consistently fastest delivery systems) or have the curb-side pick-up.  Since they are three miles from my home, and in a plaza with Trader Joe's and my pet supply store, it's never a bother to drive by and have them place my order in my car.  

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2   When I lived in California it was the Good Guys.  When I moved back to Illinois it was Circuit City, Best Buy and others but I can't remember the names now.  I am sure Sears is next to go under.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I "boycotted" Best Buy for years. Years ago we bought a camera. It was last minute, as we were going on vacation the next day. The SA told us it was the best - more features than most and the top of its (well known) brand. Brand new of course.

Two days into our vacation and it stopped working. We located the nearest BB and gave up part of our day to drive 2 hours to get there. They told us that model was old and discontinued and they couldn't take it back. And of course anyway they didn't have any more. I was furious. We talked to the manager- didn't do any good. 

I went to the drugstore and bought disposable cameras (remember those?) for the rest of our vacation.

When we got home I took it in to return it. I had the sales receipt. They gave me a hard time. I spoke to a manager, and of course the young salesman I originally had wasn't there that day. They didn't have that model and said I couldn't return it. I was not happy! Finally the manager said as a "one-time COURTESY" he would take it back but I had to pay a $50 "restocking fee." 

When I walked out the door I decided I would never shop there again.

And  didn't for a lot of years . . . until they became the only electronics store around. 

Now I do shop there once in a while. We just got a new TV for our bedroom right after Christmas when our 20-year old one gave out. We're not going many places, but even before quarantine I never go there without an appointment. They've been pretty good about letting me do that. We checked prices other places for the one we (DH) wanted, and they had the best price. 

I do wish they would get some competition, but with the path retail is taking I don't think that will happen.  Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Best Buy near me has been fine, but I do extensive research beforehand and know what I want to purchase. If I have a tech type question I'll go to the Geek Squad area to get the best help. 

7 or 8 years  ago a different locale gave my 85 year old  Dad a hard time about returning an item  shortly after the 30 day timeframe, he had the original packaging and receipt.   I went on their facebook page to 'handle' the issue! I got a apology from Corporate, and a full refund (no restocking fee) to my Dad's credit card. 

Honored Contributor

I went to Best Buy this summer and they had people at the door asking for your cell number.  I didn't know why and they said they would call me when an associate was ready to assist.  I asked if I could just look about the store - sans help - and they acquiesced.  Gee, thanks!

I've since returned once or twice and it wasn't quite as regimented.

But Target is a better choice for inexpensive electronics.  I bought both a mouse and a laptop there in 2020.