Respected Contributor

Re: Why Do Bosses Make You Feel Guilty....

I just would not have gone in. I would have called in and told them that you just woke up very sick. At that point, they would have had time to call someone else in. I'm sorry, but if they insisted, I would fib and tell them that I was spending a lot of time running to the bathroom. You are correct that nobody wants to be exposed to your germs

I was a nurse practitioner. I once worked with a gal who came in sick and ran to the bathroom to vomit every 20-30 minutes. She exposed the entire staff and all the patients to her stomach virus, and that week, we had several other staff out with the same bug and several of the patients down with it. We had to close the unit to new patients until we were bug free.

I rarely ever called in sick, and when I did, I did not feel guilty...even if my supervisor tried to make me feel that way. IMO, people who abuse their sick leave and call in sick all the time have reason to feel guilty when they actually need to call in sick.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

I need to preface what I am about to say by admitting that I have never needed to work and, in fact, did not work most of my adult life.  I freely admit that gives one a stronger sense of independence.

When, as a teenager, I first entered the workforce I might have been intimidated by "superiors,"  and thought in terms such as, "not allowed," "get in trouble," etc.  When a young girl becomes a woman one's demeanor normally matures accordingly.

As an adult, those times I did put my time and skills out for hire, was not for sale. I was generally treated respectfully, but I believe that is primarily because I respected myself.  No one was given the power to deny me the ability to tend to my needs.

I wish this were the case for all of you. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Not everyone gets the benefit of sick days.  Not everyone can just announce to their boss that they are sick and therefore they ARE going home and walk out the door.  And no one should be wasting the time of 911 for a simple cold/flu because they want to prove a point and go home.

My DH worked for a factory years ago and they didn't get sick time.  If you called in sick, you didn't get paid AND it was points against you in your personnel file.  After X amount of points you were given warnings and so on until you were eventually fired.  Now he gets a crazy amount of sick time and can carry it over.  He rarely calls in sick so he has a ton of sick time built up. 

I do not get sick time at work.  My bosses thoughts are if you are sick, you are sick and you stay home.  But if they give you X number of sick days, people are going to use it whether they are really all that sick or not because they have those days.

My bosses can be very understanding or they can be creeps about people calling in sick.  And they also can be understanding to an employee's face and then talk about that employee like a dog to each other.  Their sympathy only goes so far and then they want you here.  Funny thing is, my bosses are all men who act like they are giving birth out of their noses if they are sick!  They are a bunch of drama queens.

Honored Contributor

Oh and PP, I hope you are feeling better.  My DH actually came home from work early yesterday sick.  He called me and said everything on him hurt and he felt like he was going to vomit and he was freezing.  He came home and went to bed.  I thought maybe this would morph into a cold but he said he feels much better today, although he did stay home. 

I have heard that there are 2 bugs going around.  One is a stomach bug and the other is a cold bug.  Luckily the stomach bug lasts only 1 day and people seem to be fine.  I've had a few friends who had it.  I just hope DH kept this to himself.    

Esteemed Contributor

I had many different bosses in my 33 years of working in a big corporation factory. Bosses would rotate shifts and jobs on a regular basis. No boss could ever make me feel "anything or anyway for any reason", period.

Nobody has or will ever dictate " how I feel or why", that I have always and will always leave to myself. Just as nobody has or will ever embarrass me. Beyond myself, only my doctors will have anything to do with my illnesses, not an employee of a company for which we are both employed, especially my superiors.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Not everyone gets the benefit of sick days.  Not everyone can just announce to their boss that they are sick and therefore they ARE going home and walk out the door.  And no one should be wasting the time of 911 for a simple cold/flu because they want to prove a point and go home.

My DH worked for a factory years ago and they didn't get sick time.  If you called in sick, you didn't get paid AND it was points against you in your personnel file.  After X amount of points you were given warnings and so on until you were eventually fired.  Now he gets a crazy amount of sick time and can carry it over.  He rarely calls in sick so he has a ton of sick time built up. 

I do not get sick time at work.  My bosses thoughts are if you are sick, you are sick and you stay home.  But if they give you X number of sick days, people are going to use it whether they are really all that sick or not because they have those days.

My bosses can be very understanding or they can be creeps about people calling in sick.  And they also can be understanding to an employee's face and then talk about that employee like a dog to each other.  Their sympathy only goes so far and then they want you here.  Funny thing is, my bosses are all men who act like they are giving birth out of their noses if they are sick!  They are a bunch of drama queens.

I really did laugh out loud! This is pretty much most men today.

Respected Contributor

You are in control of your feelings.  You felt guilty.  The thing is no one is giving you a star for going to work and staying.  Your boss in not your conscience.

Respected Contributor

i have never called in sick without worrying it will  be counted against me in my performance review.  my first job the HR office gave us "incidents" if you called in sick for one day that was an "incident"   3 incidents in one year you were called on the carpet. so you better be deathly ill and have one "incident". instead of 3 separate one-day sick days.

i had a co-worker who was an asst. manager. she was at odds with the manager for a few reasons.  she was close to retirement.  when she was sick, she would come in sick and ask to go home. she took me under her wing and helped me learn the ropes.  she took me aside one day and said  "when you don't feel well, come in and mope around for an hour, look wan and pale and ask to go home.  that way it won't be written up as an "incident"

i think a lot of people had a the same mentor as it did lol

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@CatsyCline, I love your little dog picture.

thank you @qualitygal    he is a cutie...wish i had one of my own !

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2

I hope you are feeling better.

I guess i'm lucky. I currently have a boss that calls in sick himself and doesn't begrudge anyone from leaving if they are feeling poorly. He asks how they are when they return. There are also people that need go for PT - and that isn't questioned either. 

I think it is rotten to make one feel bad when they are already feeling bad. Shame on them. Shame on those that take advantage of a kind boss also.