Esteemed Contributor

Why Do Bosses Make You Feel Guilty....

For wanting to go home early because you are sick, or for calling out sick?

This past Sunday, I woke up with my whole body aching, and just no energy.

I couldn't call out then, because there would not have been enough time to find someone to cover for me.

So I went in.

As the day went on, I felt worse.

I asked if I could go home.

I DON'T  want to spread my germs around.

I was told that I could tough it out for a few more hours.

It wasn't like they couldn't get someone at that point. In fact, there were two people that could have finished my shift for me.

Yes, there has been a bug going around the office. One co-worker came in looking like death warmed over, and had to run to the bathroom every half hour. She went home early.

I spent all of yesterday in bed.

I had all over body aches, a deep chest cough, non stop headache, a temp of 100°, stuffy nose, sneezing, and absolutely zero energy.

It's not like I ask to go home early all the time.

In fact, on Sunday, one of my co-workers said that I looked like hill.

I said that I felt like hill, which was the truth.

So, why do bosses make you feel guilty for wanting to do the right thing, to go home, or stay home when you are sick?

As I said, I did NOT want to spread my germs around.

Sheesh.

Respected Contributor

Re: Why Do Bosses Make You Feel Guilty....

I wish sick people would go home!! Instead, they spread the germs, make me sick for a week or more, costs me $200.00 for meds and copay since I usually go right into bronchitis/pneumonia. Sheesh!

I had a principal who made us work sick and she got me sick 2x-I was out for a week both times w/a doctor's note. Not much they can say if there is a doctor's note.

Glad to say that principal is long gone.

Respected Contributor

I've never been able to figure that out either.  Sick days are part of the benefits.  You better believe I would use them if I was sick.  I've been (happily) retired for 2 years now and don't miss that at all.  Hope you feel better soon. 

Respected Contributor

Hope that you feel better soon, PP. If you don't take care of you no one else will.

Honored Contributor

Good, bad or indifferent ... they want you there to do their job.  Care about you or your health ... those are few and far between anymore. 

Hope you get some rest and feel better soon. 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

With my old boss it just depended on who you were. I f a woman or someone from another

country asked to go home, he always said no, but if it was one of his "bros " he was so understanding. Jerks are jerks, no matter what their position. M y boss was chief of an

Anesthesia Dept.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

For wanting to go home early because you are sick, or for calling out sick?

This past Sunday, I woke up with my whole body aching, and just no energy.

I couldn't call out then, because there would not have been enough time to find someone to cover for me.

So I went in.

As the day went on, I felt worse.

I asked if I could go home.

I DON'T  want to spread my germs around.

I was told that I could tough it out for a few more hours.

It wasn't like they couldn't get someone at that point. In fact, there were two people that could have finished my shift for me.

Yes, there has been a bug going around the office. One co-worker came in looking like death warmed over, and had to run to the bathroom every half hour. She went home early.

I spent all of yesterday in bed.

I had all over body aches, a deep chest cough, non stop headache, a temp of 100°, stuffy nose, sneezing, and absolutely zero energy.

It's not like I ask to go home early all the time.

In fact, on Sunday, one of my co-workers said that I looked like hill.

I said that I felt like hill, which was the truth.

So, why do bosses make you feel guilty for wanting to do the right thing, to go home, or stay home when you are sick?

As I said, I did NOT want to spread my germs around.

Sheesh.

Next time don't ask your boss, tell him you are going home or that you will dial 911 from the office.  YOU know what's best for your body, your mind, your soul, not him. 

Trusted Contributor

There is no excuse for it and a good boss would not want others to be exposed and prolong the spread of germs to others in the workplace. Working while you are sick only makes for more absences in the long run. One suggestion….next time don’t ask if you can go home – simply state that you are too sick to stay and that you are going home. It is a fact so state the fact – no choice involved. As someone already said, it is part of your employee benefits and it is the smart thing to do for you and your co-workers.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Trusted Contributor

@truffle    Great minds think alike!  After I posted I saw that you said the same thing less than a minute before me. 

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

I hope you coughed on your boss. A lot.