Honored Contributor

Re: Why Do Bosses Make You Feel Guilty....

It's their job! I think it should not be allowed to work if you are sick.

Respected Contributor

Many years agp. I worked in a factory office...and we actually had unlimited sick leave! And, at least in my department--around 35 people, mostly women--nobody really abused it. Except for ONE (there's always one, isn't there?). She was "out sick" for at least one day in every two-week pay period. I don't know how she got away with it!

I rarely called in sick myself, but was one of two who had to cover this person's job when SHE was out. I called in one morning deathly ill, only to be told "Well, (this person) is out today, too." My reply was "So what else is new?" Why my very proper, strait-laced boss didn't fire me, I'll never know! But from then on, whenever I called in, all he ever said was "hope you feel better soon!".

In my younger days, I did feel guilty when I called in sick--until I realized that I wasn't getting any gold stars for making the effort even when I didn't feel well.

My poor mom worked in a "cotton mill" for 25 years and they didn't have sick leave. She couldn't afford to take a day off work, so went in sick often. I think it's why she was in such poor health after she retired...those 25 years just broke her down.

Honored Contributor

Sickness does not always start during the night so you wake up ill and call off. Sometimes you are ok in the morning and become ill as the day goes on, as was the case with my stomach flu. Had I known I was ill I would not have gone to work.  It started while ai was there. 

Respected Contributor

My personal view is that in our country, illness is looked down upon.  You are seen as weak and ineffective if you become ill.

I have had those experiences, too.  When I was younger, it upset me and I went into work many times sick, then having to leave early, or getting more sick and being out longer than I would have been, had I just stayed home the two or three days to get over the fever, etc.

Now I don't let it bother me.  I look at it this way:  I'm a smart, educated person, with common sense.  I'm a dependable, diligent worker.   I give my all to my work, and then some.

If I am sick, and I feel that I am not able to go in, I don't go. 

If they don't like it, too bad.  I call out rarely, and only when absolutely necessary.

What can they do?  Fire me?  They won't, they know how good I am.  And if they did, I have enough contacts to get another job. 

So think about that.  Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

This may bring scoffs, but my intent is sincere.  Reading these posts makes me wonder, "What about mental health or 'personal' days?"  I've worked in stressful positions where those types of days off were understood and accepted, particularly at the end of a big project.   

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2

do you accrue sick time or flex time?  do you abuse it? (just judging from your posts, I would say you don't.)

If you accrue sick time or flex time (or paid time off that can be used for any reason), then you have it and you should use it.

Your boss really does not have the right to deny you that.  Just a thought, if you had just said "I'm sick, I've got to leave now" instead of asking to go home, do you think you would have had a different outcome?

Or perhaps you should have just stayed home altogether from the beginning.  Sometimes if you show up, they think you can stay the whole time.

Regarding people to cover you:  do you willingly cover or pick up the slack for others when they are ill?  I'm sure that you do.  Don't you deserve the same consideration?

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero