Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why Do Bosses Make You Feel Guilty....

I was feeling nauseous and asked to go home. I was told 'NO" there was paperwork that needed done by the end of the day.....

When I vomited in her waist basket........I got to leave..Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Nobody can "make" you feel guilty. If you decide you are sick enough to go home or stay home, you should simply take your PTO or a sick day. You shouldn't feel anything, but simply responsible for taking care of yourself. Really. 

@Goldengate8361   I signed in just so I could give your post a heart -- which I did. Woman Happy 

Edited to add:  I apologize, @Plaid Pants2, for failing to mention that I hope you feel much better very soon.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

One of the best things about no longer working is that I can be sick and stay home....and not have to worry about the weather and driving to work. I remember dreading to make that phone call into work saying I was sick.....I felt so guilty. 

Honored Contributor

More accurately, why do bosses TRY to make you feel guilty.  I'm past feeling guilty, but I do get hugely annoyed at the idea when they try.

In my office, the boss isn't geographically close to the rest of us, so she doesn't have to worry about catching anything, and she doesn't care if the person sitting next to you gets sick. She doesn't care if we all get it from each other, as long as we continue show up. And there is only one kind of *believable* sick. If you are not coughing, sneezing and plugged up, you aren't sick but lying, because no one can *prove* they have a headache, upset stomach, sore throat, etc.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I was feeling nauseous and asked to go home. I was told 'NO" there was paperwork that needed done by the end of the day.....

You should of aimed for her desk!   Smiley Tongue

Respected Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Nobody can "make" you feel guilty. If you decide you are sick enough to go home or stay home, you should simply take your PTO or a sick day. You shouldn't feel anything, but simply responsible for taking care of yourself. Really. 

Not everyone can walk out the door and go home if they feel ill or become ill on the job. Someone has to approve you packing up and leaving or you could actually jeopardize your job. Calling in sick is one thing (and she didn't feel there was enough time to do that) but once you arrive at work, your time belongs to "them" and if "they" don't allow you to leave, not much you can do. Except barf in their trash can-  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I worked as a ward clerk in a nursing home and also in a hospital for years. The nurses could not call off sick come h-ll or high water. I remember women coming in who were so sick they spent most of the time in the rest room. One time we had a nurse collaspe and had to be carried out of the place. A nurse tried to call off during a terrible snow storm and the supervisor insisted she try to make it into work, the nurse was killed in an accident on her way in.

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

It only takes once for something like that to make someone to learn!

I had a teacher in junior high who told us at the beginning of the school year, that if we were ill and needed to leave the room, just do it. Don't worry about a hall pass, and don't wait to get her attention. 

She said that one year, a boy came to her desk, and she was in the middle of something and didn't look up right away. Well, he threw up all over her desk. Got the grade book, and she had to clean it up and use it the rest of the year, as they wouldn't issue a new one. She had a daily reminder of the incident.

After that, she said she'd bail out anyone who needed to leave in a hurry without a hall pass!

Trusted Contributor

I am a boss, and I don't want my employees working if they are sick. I care about them, and know they won't be productive either.

We have a generous sick leave program, and try to be as fair as possible.

Our business thrives because of my wonderful employees.

You may be working for the wrong company!

Honored Contributor

I rarely call out but fortunately I don't have to secure permission to leave if I am that ill............