Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why Do Bosses Make You Feel Guilty....

@Plaid Pants2, I hope you are feeling better soon. It is awful to feel so terrible and have no one around to pamper or support you. It sounds miserable. Hopefully you're through the worst and on the road back.

I guess I've been lucky, never had an unsympathetic boss. When my mom passed, the president of the company called me to tell me to take my time and not rush back, to take the full five days of bereavement leave. Bosses that require you to be present if you are really sick should be breathed on heavily. Not really, but sheesh, how cold.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

I haven't had a manager make me feel guilty for calling in sick in over 20 years. I rarely ever do it anyway, but they've been very good about it. In the last few years, I've even had managers tell me to go home and work from home when I've had bad allergies or just didn't feel well but wasn't quite sick.

I've had some really bad managers who've made me feel bad about things that weren't my fault, took credit for my work, or refused to promote me for ridiculous reasons, but it's been a very long time since I had anyone make me feel bad about calling in sick.

Esteemed Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

@Plaid Pants2, I hope you are feeling better soon. It is awful to feel so terrible and have no one around to pamper or support you. It sounds miserable. Hopefully you're through the worst and on the road back.

I guess I've been lucky, never had an unsympathetic boss. When my mom passed, the president of the company called me to tell me to take my time and not rush back, to take the full five days of bereavement leave. Bosses that require you to be present if you are really sick should be breathed on heavily. Not really, but sheesh, how cold.

You get/got FIVE  days for bereavement leave?

You're lucky. I only get two. If I want to take longer than that, it comes out of my annual leave.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

For wanting to go home early because you are sick, or for calling out sick?

This past Sunday, I woke up with my whole body aching, and just no energy.

I couldn't call out then, because there would not have been enough time to find someone to cover for me.

So I went in.

As the day went on, I felt worse.

I asked if I could go home.

I DON'T  want to spread my germs around.

I was told that I could tough it out for a few more hours.

It wasn't like they couldn't get someone at that point. In fact, there were two people that could have finished my shift for me.

Yes, there has been a bug going around the office. One co-worker came in looking like death warmed over, and had to run to the bathroom every half hour. She went home early.

I spent all of yesterday in bed.

I had all over body aches, a deep chest cough, non stop headache, a temp of 100°, stuffy nose, sneezing, and absolutely zero energy.

It's not like I ask to go home early all the time.

In fact, on Sunday, one of my co-workers said that I looked like hill.

I said that I felt like hill, which was the truth.

So, why do bosses make you feel guilty for wanting to do the right thing, to go home, or stay home when you are sick?

As I said, I did NOT want to spread my germs around.

Sheesh.

Because sh*t rolls downhill. They get cr*p from their bosses and so it goes. The lower down on the ladder you are, the bigger you get dumped on.

Frequent Contributor

I learned just to say I am leaving. He don't like it I don't care.  I am sick I am sick. Guilty - Never.  Take care of me first job second.

Respected Contributor

i had a boss who was never sick but i was not afraid to say i was sick. however, she would check up on on me at home.   one time i had to go to an on call doctor becuase my regular doctor was on vacation in India.   it was bad, my lungs were inflamed. after i had my appointment i went to the paharmacy to get meds. i had bronchitis which had morphed into pneumonia!  i got home and settled and my boss called and wanted to go over the status  of several projects.  i was coughing and hacking and could barely breathe. she did not care. she was never sick! i worked under her for 8 years, she was a friggin robot, never ever sick!

Valued Contributor

Not sll bosses are uncaring.  When I managed people, I was very concerned about them and infecting other  people.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

For wanting to go home early because you are sick, or for calling out sick?

This past Sunday, I woke up with my whole body aching, and just no energy.

I couldn't call out then, because there would not have been enough time to find someone to cover for me.

So I went in.

As the day went on, I felt worse.

I asked if I could go home.

I DON'T  want to spread my germs around.

I was told that I could tough it out for a few more hours.

It wasn't like they couldn't get someone at that point. In fact, there were two people that could have finished my shift for me.

Yes, there has been a bug going around the office. One co-worker came in looking like death warmed over, and had to run to the bathroom every half hour. She went home early.

I spent all of yesterday in bed.

I had all over body aches, a deep chest cough, non stop headache, a temp of 100°, stuffy nose, sneezing, and absolutely zero energy.

It's not like I ask to go home early all the time.

In fact, on Sunday, one of my co-workers said that I looked like hill.

I said that I felt like hill, which was the truth.

So, why do bosses make you feel guilty for wanting to do the right thing, to go home, or stay home when you are sick?

As I said, I did NOT want to spread my germs around.

Sheesh.

Because sh*t rolls downhill. They get cr*p from their bosses and so it goes. The lower down on the ladder you are, the bigger you get dumped on.

Sorry, but JMHO, no boss can make anyone, including myself, feel guilty about anything I say or do in their employ.

The way they feel, speak, act, etc. is their problem and opinion, but doesn't affect me at all. I am an adult. If I make a decision about myself, no one else should challenge that. 

Besides, NO ONE can make you feel guilty or anything else unless YOU allow it to occur by the way you think, feel, or respond to them.

It's not your problem.

Perhaps you should practice changing your thoughts on this matter.

Blessings.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I'm a boss and I really wish my sick employee would go home (because now I'm starting to catch it too).

It really makes no sense to make ill people come to work. yikes.

Esteemed Contributor

Nobody can "make" you feel guilty. If you decide you are sick enough to go home or stay home, you should simply take your PTO or a sick day. You shouldn't feel anything, but simply responsible for taking care of yourself. Really.