Honored Contributor

Re: Why Are Old Threads Kept Around?

It doesn’t really matter to me though I have used older threads for reference to a subject I was looking for. 

Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't like to see the old threads removed but would strongly support having them locked after a reasonable period of time with no new responses.  Perhaps six months would be a good time frame.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is a recurring topic.   QVC opted for what appears to be the cheapest pre-packaged forum platform offered by the Lithium web hosting service.    They seem to offer no customization, so what we have is what we have.

The migration to the new software, in June 2015, appeared to completely delete all threads started before 2010...  and stripped the oldest remaining threads of all replies and left the "stem" of the original post...  and allowed other old threads (using some arbitrary date) to remain intact with responses (but subject to deletion if we violate standards and bump them).

(By the way, it's standard practice for any forum or chat site to prohibit bumping old threads, and just about all moderated forums include this in their terms of use -- regardless of personal opinions, thread bumping is pretty much universally deemed to be inconsiderate.)

It would take unreasonable time and effort for someone to manually locate and delete the old ones and to keep up with doing so as time passes and as other threads become "too old." 

However, a simple, basic "programming 101" code could easily loop through threads and automatically and quickly lock the ones with no activity (the last post date) after a predetermined date.

I've spent my life working in IT and I've written this kind of simple code -- it's elementary and if QVC wanted to add this it could be done in a nanosecond.   

After initially running it, this could be scheduled as a maintenance program to run periodically, probably once a week, with no human intervention needed to continue to loop thrrough and lock threads once their most recent post became older than he specified age.   It's a standard, established practice most well-managed sites tend to employ.

Not only would it help avoid the confusion with people bumping ancient threads, it would even save the moderators time since thread bumping would be resolved automatically in the background.    Keeping the older threads available isn't the cause of the constant website problems...  those are caused by poor design and maintenance, lack of interest in fixing issues such as database degradation, and the evidence of using duct tape and superglue to try and bandage the site as it limps along.

This isn't rocket science.   But it's been suggested time and time again and nothing has been done before, so I have no expectation that anything will be done now.

I think older threads should be allowed to remain but should be closed to comments after a certain time limit.    That would permit us to use them as references but avoid violating the standards which prohibit bumping old threads.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I think the system should drop old threads automatically after a certain time.   

What I’ve noticed is that new posters apparently start reading the posts, find one they feel comfortable responding to, not realizing they are bumping up an old post.  

Honored Contributor

I guess for the same reason they keep some of the same products around for a decade and never really offer them at a meaningful sale price...

Smiley Surprised

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

To shame old posters who re-emerge with a different name

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedTop wrote:

I think the system should drop old threads automatically after a certain time.   

What I’ve noticed is that new posters apparently start reading the posts, find one they feel comfortable responding to, not realizing they are bumping up an old post.  

@RedTop,  I agree that some of the old threads are pulled up by new posters who might not understand the policies (or might not have read them), but lately I've seen more thread bumping by established posters.    Sometimes it's a mistake, but other times I've seen them note that the discussion is old but they wanted to add to it.     

Even though the intent might be good (other than knowingly violating the guidelines), when we bump a thread it usually will cause the old discussion to be completely deleted by the moderators.    As a result, nothing useful was accomplished.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

I would be in favor of locking the threads so posters won't unknowingly violate the community rules by posting/responding. You can Google a topic and a QVC post on that subject may appear in the query. If someone didn't know the post was old they may click on the post to answer...I don't think it would be fair to ban/block for responding to a dead post when they are still allowed to comment on it.

Honored Contributor

It's a passionate topic.  When the vote was taken, majority voted to keep.  It doesn't bother me one way or the other.  It seems though the really old threads should be locked and stored in a read only section.

Honored Contributor

For reference

♥Surface of the Sun♥