Esteemed Contributor

Why Are Old Threads Kept Around?

Serious question.

I, like many here, have accidentally responded to a thread that was brought back from the dead, not realizing that the thread is years old.

I don't want to get my hand slapped for having done that, when my response was a pure accident.

I went to the very last page, and the last thread on it is from 2010.

My question is why keep these ancient threads around?

Wouldn't a year or more of no response on them qualify them for removal, or at the very least, locking?

Wouldn't removing them create more space, and possibly, the website to run better?

All of my questions are sincere.

I was just wondering.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Re: Why Are Old Threads Kept Around?

I have no answer. Perhaps it would take a lot of manpower to remove or close them from additional commenting. I know what sometimes seemed like a simple request at work, became a nightmare for the I.T. staff.

Honored Contributor

When these new boards came about some people were asked questions. I think one was leave older threads or remove them. Keep them won. I kind of like to read some when somehow one pops up.

Regular Contributor

I totally agree. Just last week I responded to something that was over a year old. I don't know why they are not removed.

Honored Contributor

I'm in favor of removing them.  I find it somewhat anoying when I go to respond to a thread, only to find that it's at least a year old.  Threads should have an expiration date!Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I think they should be kept for reading.  Occasionally I'll search for some medical situations that others have been through and I like to read how they have dealt with it. 

However after a certain time period I think they should be locked....but not removed.

Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

I think they should be kept for reading.  Occasionally I'll search for some medical situations that others have been through and I like to read how they have dealt with it. 

However after a certain time period I think they should be locked....but not removed.

I like this idea. We could still use the information we just won’t be able to post on it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

Although most threads are "throwaways", some old threads are frequently referred to and mined for information.

I keep threads 'floated' to the top of the forum in several forums for quick reference, just added another one today.

For example, Bebe777 and several other posters, here and gone, build an incredibly valuable WEN reference library. I read/search those threads all the time.

I'd imagine threads are frequently searched out in recipies, kitchen, beauty, sports, travel, garden, movie & tv reviews wellness, pets ....

nearly all forums.

Honored Contributor

It doesn't bother me one way or another (keep/eliminate).

My only problem is sometimes I have trouble deciphering the newest thread on a subject.  Before someone says 'it's the first one', that's not always the case.  Also, it's just easy to post on someone else's thread they started.

I remember someone complaining that the subject matter didn't often tell enough about the thread itself.  With that in mind, I sometimes find that another person's thread (they started) is much better at describing what I want to post about.

As I've said many times here, there are some very intelligent, thoughtful people on these boards.  I admire and respect many of them.  Some are just a lot better at starting a thread to which I'm interested than I am or would be.

That's where the use of an 'old thread' really comes in handy for me.

It also gives me an idea of how interested people are or were, in a subject at one time.  It helps to see how people's thinking has changed as more information on a subject comes out.

One thing it does prove (in my opinion) is that the more different humans are ...... the more we are alike.  Often the same questions, ideas and problems we have are very similar to others.

My family, my family-life, etc. was very difficult and screwed up when I was growing up.  People who know me and my family often ask, "Why are you "relatively" normal and why haven't you had to go to psychiatrists like most of your family?"

I usually (honestly) reply I believe it's because I talk to people (i.e. friends, strangers, anyone and everyone) about many subjects.  I'm open and honest and because of that people also share their ideas, problems and .....well..life in general with me.

This helps me realize ....ummm...what I just said above...

So, getting back to the old(er) threads.  It's easy to type in a subject and when several old(er) threads pop up, to go back and read some of the helpful comments, etc. other's here have posted.

It's just good for the heart and brain to read other's posts.  For that, I thank all of you.  AnnabellethecatSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

The mods also have a lot to do.  Maybe they wouldn't have time to start going back and deleting old posts, until one is problematic and then they do.  The mods do a lot of different tasks here and I would think they are always busy. I would also think deleting old threads would be a very low priority for them.