Honored Contributor

Re: Whose Memory Is Better, Your's or DH?

We both are about the same.  We always say between us we might have a brain that works.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure who has a better memory but he thinks I should be the one to remember the names of places we've been to once from 25+ years ago.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

I'm amazed at how many thread posts assume people are married.

If it bothered you, you could have passed right on by instead of commenting.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

I'm amazed at how many thread posts assume people are married.

If it bothered you, you could have passed right on by instead of commenting.

@CelticCrafter    It didn't bother me.  I merely commented, as you did.

Honored Contributor

I asked my husband, and he said, "I don't know, I can't remember".

Honored Contributor

Interesting subject.  I have a theory about that.  So, here's my theory..

I remember things now (now that I'm 72) I have not remembered or thought about in years.  I remember every detail about some of the events or people, etc.

Here's my theory.  When we are young(er) we are very busy in life MAKING memories.

As we age our lives slow down and we have time to reflect on our past.  I don't know about any of you but (thank goodness) I'm able to remember many good people and times in my life.

Sometimes my memories are so sweet and wonderful I'll find tears coming down my eyes (then I realize I'm happy or sad).

I think our brain stores all of these memories somewhere for 'safe' keeping.  If we're lucky we can come 'call up' those memories when we want to.

I like to think these memories as friends.  If they're sad they help me forgive (I had a difficult childhood) and understand all of the memories help to make me be me.

I guess I'm also lucky because I like who I am.  I've worked hard to try to be a good person.  I think these same memories have helped me do that.

I also think our recall of good memories is a gift GOD has given us to combat lonliness as we age and those around us pass away.  Just one more gift from GOD.

Another interesting thing.  I have 3 daughters who are now adults.  I can take a situation that they all three agree was important.  Yet the oldest swears she can't remember much or even anything about the situation.  This happens pretty frequently.

I don't have an explanation for this difference in remembering.  My oldest daughter (otherwise) is very, very organized and has an amazing memory.

All of our memories about something is based on our own perspective of how WE see it.

My answer to your question is .....it depends on what it is that needs to be remembered.  When it came to business, my late husband was unbelievable.  However, when it came to Drs appointments or things around the house, my memory trumped his every time.

I never remember people's names.  Faces, I usually remember.  Places, forget it.  I've even gotten to the point now (maybe call it wised-up) that I turn the OPPOSITE way that I THINK I should turn...and if I do that....it's the RIGHT way...Grrrrr.....drives me crazy!

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

Hands down mine is better and DH would agree. His memory is getting worse. I remember all  acct. numbers, pins, financial info etc.  When he was sick I remembered all the dates and times of is procedures and still do.  He asks me when his next port flush is or next CT scan instead of looking a paper in his wallet. I'm quicker. I remember useless info too. Birthday dates of former co-workers from 30 yrs.ago.  Also their kids name even though I never see them. It's an asset and a curse to have a great memory.  You remember the good but sadly also the bad.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

What is a port flush?

Hung