Honored Contributor

Re: Whom Do You Think the Queen’s Children Resemble?

@Oznell - Thank you for the pictures! I agree with you that Anne has her dad's personality! 

@Porcelain - I started to answer you, then the phone rang! I'll just add I think Edward kind of flew under the radar for a long time. As the youngest he could. I know he and Sophie do a lot of good and the people love them. 

Respected Contributor

@Oznell   If I am correct the royal family on both sides is ethnically German and maybe Dutch.  Prince Philip was born in Greece as his father was King of Greece but neither are Greek.  There was a haste during one of the World Wars to change or leave out one of the German surnames as it sounded too German.  It's a mind boggling mix and I can't imagine doing a genogram on any member!

Trusted Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

Edward worked as a theatre production assistant at the Really Useful Theatre Company before assisting in television production. He later formed his own company, Ardent Productions.

Edward stepped down from the company in 2002 to begin full-time duties as a working member of the royal family, and undertook engagements on behalf of the Queen. He holds patronage within over 70 charities and organizations, including the National Youth Theatre, the Sport and Recreation Alliance and the British Paralympic Association. His charity work focuses on the arts, athletics, and the development of the Duke of Edinburgh's Award, which centers around fitness, wellbeing and community service.

Sophie worked in Public Relations, representing firms across the UK, Switzerland and Australia before opening her own agency in 1996. She met Edward in 1987 while working for Capital Radio; they began dating in 1993, married in 1999.  In 2002, Sophie closed her business interests and began full-time work as a member of the royal family. She is the patron of over 70 charities and organizations, including Childline and the London College of Fashion. She undertakes over 200 engagements each year, including visits to schools, universities and military bases. Her charity work primarily revolves around people with disabilitieswomen's rights, avoidable blindness.

Thank you for making my point and confirming my post.

Much obliged.

Honored Contributor

You're right that the royals are quite a mix, @bmorechick !

Prince Philip's side had German, Danish, English and a few other nationalities.  Queen Elizabeth, as you note, had that strong German background from her father.  But her mother,  the Queen Mum,  Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon that I referenced, was Scottish.   I've always wondered if Charles picked up a few more of his traits from that line....

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JamandBread wrote:

@lovepink wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Why don't we ever hear about Prince Edward? I just looked these people up. He's not bad looking. Do they keep Ed locked away in a tower? Maybe he's just shy?

Edward, The Earl of Wessex and his wife Sophie have been considered second tier Royals.  He's the third brother and fourth child.  That's how it's done.  He and Sophie were moved up to first tier Royals now and have been seen a lot lately; even did a Royal tour.  This happened after Harry and his wife left the "firm" as they call it.  Edward is expected to get the title of Duke of Edinburgh; which Prince Philip wanted.

Actually Edward and Sophie have been full time working Royals since 2002, when they each quit their private sector jobs. Twenty years they've been paid by the crown to represent the Queen.

If they've only stepped up over the last 2 years, what were they doing during the prior 18?

They have been working all that time; just not as much and rarely seen.  Now they are doing more work and are considered more important.  They were ASKED to do more and become more prominent.  Between Harry and his wife leaving and Andrew's scandal, they were needed.  Royals are paid more if they do more; but it's often not their choice.  Edward (in my opinion) has been treated like a distant relative and he was Queen Elizabeth's son too.  His Wedding was NOTHING like Harry's!  I watched both. I never said they weren't working; but we didn't see them, now we do.  I find it interesting he's been treated worse than Harry, but doesn't complain.

Trusted Contributor

@lovepink wrote:

@JamandBread wrote:

@lovepink wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Why don't we ever hear about Prince Edward? I just looked these people up. He's not bad looking. Do they keep Ed locked away in a tower? Maybe he's just shy?

Edward, The Earl of Wessex and his wife Sophie have been considered second tier Royals.  He's the third brother and fourth child.  That's how it's done.  He and Sophie were moved up to first tier Royals now and have been seen a lot lately; even did a Royal tour.  This happened after Harry and his wife left the "firm" as they call it.  Edward is expected to get the title of Duke of Edinburgh; which Prince Philip wanted.

Actually Edward and Sophie have been full time working Royals since 2002, when they each quit their private sector jobs. Twenty years they've been paid by the crown to represent the Queen.

If they've only stepped up over the last 2 years, what were they doing during the prior 18?

They have been working all that time; just not as much and rarely seen.  Now they are doing more work and are considered more important.  They were ASKED to do more and become more prominent.  Between Harry and his wife leaving and Andrew's scandal, they were needed.  Royals are paid more if they do more; but it's often not their choice.  Edward (in my opinion) has been treated like a distant relative and he was Queen Elizabeth's son too.  His Wedding was NOTHING like Harry's!  I watched both. I never said they weren't working; but we didn't see them, now we do.  I find it interesting he's been treated worse than Harry, but doesn't complain.

It appears from @Somertime's post that they have been active with many charities for years.

Maybe they just didn't get the coverage. Or maybe they didn't do very many events.

Either way, nobody should be treated badly for no good or legitimate reason. Though I don't recall Edward and Sophie and their children vilified by the press. 

Honored Contributor

I don't think any of them resemble their parents or each other.  I think they were all adopted at birth.  Big secret.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

This gent is a relative of the Queen's.  Does anyone detect a vague resemblance to anyone else in her closer family network?

Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 7.39.15 PM.png

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

This gent is a relative of the Queen's.  Does anyone detect a vague resemblance to anyone else in her closer family network?

Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 7.39.15 PM.png

Andrew

Honored Contributor

I see Andrew, too.