Respected Contributor
We’re a household of 2 and have both Sams and Costco memberships. I think the membership fees more than justify the annual dues.
Esteemed Contributor

I am single and I have a Sam's Club membership. I buy meat, fruit, paper goods, trash bags, Ziploc bags, dishwashing pods, cleaning products, coffee, vegetables and bread. It saves me money and I don't have to go to the grocery store that often. 

Respected Contributor

We belong to both BJ's and Costco. Like them both. Even though we were empty nesters for a bit,(one child moved back home from NYC to find a job in Boston), we still shop at wholesale clubs.  We purchase paper goods, toiletries, laundry detergent, cleaning supplies, seasonal decorations, Halloween candy, and during Thanksgiving and Christmas cases and cases of canned goods to donate to our local food pantry and community help center.  All at better cost then our local grocery stores. Gas for the car is low priced also. Although at times with Cumby's member gas card they can beat the wholesale clubs.  As with anything you purchase, check around for pricing. We have a Food Saver so our meat bulk purchases are portioned out into sizes we use and popped into the freezer. They definetly are a money saver for us. I don't see us stopping shopping there just because it will be the two of us again soon. We have the room for storing the items and I enjoy shopping there. 

Honored Contributor

It is just the two of us now but I have shopped at Costco since it opened here a decade ago. Vitamins and OTC meds are much cheaper. I don't buy produce there but do buy bagged salads and berries during the summer because we use them fast enough to make it worthwhile. I also buy bagels there and keep them in the freezer since we only eat them toasted anyway. I definitely know Costco saves me quite a bit of money so the membership is worth it. I also like the convenience of not having to go to the store so often since what I do buy lasts a long time.

Trusted Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

I'm wondering if you think they really are cheaper?  We were members of BJ's when we lived in PA but only have Sam's here.   I had a Sam's membership for one year 15 years ago and didn't renew.  

It's just the two of us and I think I can find same/similar items at the grocery store in bulk amounts for about the same price.   

Do you think your wholesale club saves you enough money  to make it worthwhile?

It's just two of us too, but just shopping somewhere different once in a while is a fun outing! I don't buy food-just sundries, household products and some clothes.

Respected Contributor
Have had Sams membership since growing family needed diapers and milk in quantities. Now can’t justify the large amounts. Still have membership for tires, paper goods, some frozen items, and occasional things.
Respected Contributor

Re: Wholesale Clubs

[ Edited ]

I belong to BJs but only bc I needed 4 new tires for my car to pass inspection.  Both BJs and Costco are very close, the cost of tires were pretty much the same and I chose BJs (prob would have preferred Costco) but ours is attached to a mall so around Christmas and holidays that place has little to no parking and very very crowded.  

BJs here is a standalone store along a main road so much easier to get into and out of - and it also has tons of parking even during Christmas.