Honored Contributor

I used to be a fan of Whole Foods but after Amazon bought it things changed.  Many items I used to drive there for were discontinued.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I used to be a fan of Whole Foods but after Amazon bought it things changed.  Many items I used to drive there for were discontinued.  

@DiAnne   This is true.  Amazon is focusing more and more on the 365 brand now-redesigning packaging and products.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

It's interesting how we all prefer one market over another.

We have Sprouts here, too, but I do not find their produce to be anything special, especially the organic, in freshness and price.

The only item I can find there is Spice Hunter products in quite a nice variety.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

One opened in my area last week,went yesterday, the prices were pretty high, i doubt if i will go back ,was disappointed.

...But the quality is there and dependable-that makes them a bit more expensive

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I think they have the best produce going--and the best by far selection here of fresh veggies and fruits.  And if you are a prime member I don't think that they are enough higher than any other store for quality produce. 

I also use a lot of their 365 house brands which I have found to be excellent.  I think a lot of what is said about them is urban myth frankly.  

But it also depends what you are looking for.  For major brands, hamburger buns, cleaning supplies, canned goods, we do Walmart pickups.

Meat, produce, 365 dairy, cheeses outside name brands, etc. WF. And we shop their sales, which are very good. 

Totally agree on the quality and healthy choices!

Trusted Contributor

If you care to look it up, Whole Foods is #1 for RECALLS on their food of all the grocery chains in the US.

I have an old friend (she was a union steward for Local 400 when I was a member; it's a different number now) who worked for Giant and was responsible for inspections to make sure everything was up to health code in the deli and bakery (when they actually made and baked in the store). One of her 'things" was to check out the competition and see if they measured up to her standards (she was PICKY!) or if they surpassed what she demanded of her store. When Whole Foods opened in our community, she couldn't wait to check it out. She was disgusted by what she saw and if I remember correctly, reported them to whomever she reported health codes to. Periodically she would pop in and look around and she never saw it improve. When I read that report about Whole Foods and their recalls, I just smiled; after she me what she witnessed, I never purchased from them. The ONE time I went in to check out their fresh made foods, there was a smell that was off. Don't know what it was but sewage is the best thing I can think of....purchased nothing.

For their prices, they should be spotless and the highest quality of food on the market. Maybe they were at some time but are now coasting on that reputation without merit.....many companies/products are today.

In any event, we don't nor anyone in our world shops there.

*Four Seasons once again*
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3    All stores offer specials on items to lure you in - they are called loss leaders but it doesn't mean everything else in the store is less.   I am sure strawberries were cheaper that day than at atraders but overall, traders has the best prices on almost everything.  I've been shopping at Traders forever more than 40 years in CA and not only are their prucrsgoodcomparedto chain grocery stores, but the quality of the products they sell are excellent and heavy on nutritional value.

Respected Contributor

I like Whole Foods for some things.  Their store brand is very good and usually the organic version is the same price as the conventional at my usualy supermarket.  I also like their bakery and produce.

Honored Contributor

I'm in Albuquerque and I don't regularly shop there; however, when I need a cake, that's where I'll go.

Especially fond of their Chantilly cake. Heart

Berry Chantilly Cake Whole Foods - change comin

Copycat Whole Foods Berry Chantilly Cake | Recipe | Berry chantilly cake, Easy buttercream ...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

The produce is wonderful and very fresh. In the summer months they source from local farms. We also buy their wild caught fish and it is a lot less expensive than a fish mart we go to. Whole Foods also carry Bell and Evans chicken..the only kind I will eat. My salad dressings are 365, their own brand. As a diabetic they cater to what I need to eat, so we shop here often. 

BTW, their cheese section is wonderful. I gave up dairy but on occasion I love their fresh mozzarella. Their bakery for holidays and special occasions, my grandson tells me is the best.🥰