Honored Contributor
If you have a Sprouts Fresh Market, they sell organic at much better prices that TJ or WH. The quality seems better as well.
Respected Contributor

Re: Whole Foods

[ Edited ]

I guess it depends on what you buy.  I do most of my shopping at Trader Joe's and fill in at Whole Foods. Some items are reasonable, some things a little pricey at WF.  

Also, you have to know how to shop there.  I always check what's on sale and try to buy certain items when they are.  As an Amazon Prime member, I also get an additional 10% off of sale items (don't need their credit card).  I buy a lot of produce but I agree that it's good quality and I don't mind paying a little more for that and for organic (and I buy some produce when it's on sale).  

But both TJ's and WF are close to me and within walking distance (there is no Sprouts), so the convenience makes it worth it to me too I suppose, even if some items are a little more costly.

Esteemed Contributor

I like Whole Foods.  They have great produce. And the seafood and meat counters always offer fresh items.

Super Contributor

@Sooner I love Whole Foods produce and purchase it on a weekly basis.  It might be a bit more expensive, but I can afford it and prefer to buy higher quality produce.  It's definitely worth it to me.  

Overall it's just a great grocery store!

Respected Contributor

We go every Saturday.  There's one in our area, well a few but yes, some things may be a bit more but our local grocery store is NOT cheap either.

Their produce is superior to other stores though.  I don't mind paying more.

I believe you get what you pay for. 

Try buying fresh parsley in a local store.  YUK!

I cannot find amazing carrots, broccoli and all that any place but Whole Foods.

If a better store comes along, I'll go there.....

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

One opened in my area last week,went yesterday, the prices were pretty high, i doubt if i will go back ,was disappointed.

@goldensrbest   They only open them in neighborhoods with  high incomes.... that is who they are targeting.

I never thought of this but the one we go to IS in a kind of ritzie area, come to think of it.  The taxes alone in this area must be 25,000.00 a year and that's probably a low estimate.  Some of the houses are like mansions.  They built a new one that just baked my potato.  It's L shaped.  What a mansion.  I don't usually like huge places but this one, I loved the style of the whole thing.  Anyway, yeah, I like Whole Foods' produce mostly.  I make my own veggie soup.  They have corn on the cob all year.  It's probably been frozen but it really isn't bad.  Actually I got better corn IN SEASON from ShopRite.  oh well......Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@77yangya wrote:

We go every Saturday.  There's one in our area, well a few but yes, some things may be a bit more but our local grocery store is NOT cheap either.

Haha, @77yangya, I buy organic parsley every week at my local supermarket, and it is just fine. BTW, I always buy Italian parsley, haven't used the curly type for decades now.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I get Whole Foods delivered from Amazon.  Most of their items from their Fresh Delivery comes from Whole Foods too.  Their store brand is 365 for some canned and jarred products.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

I do alot of online shopping with Whole Foods--I seem to get the things I want somewhat cheaper there--I also use AMZ Fresh --I can compare between the two and buy where it is  less--used to go with Safeway but they were terrible---of course---EVERYTHING is  more pricey these days--but I am not going to shop at 10 stores for the sales---used to do that when the sales flyers were decent---

Honored Contributor

@77yangya wrote:

@77yangya   I agree about the parsley.  LOL

Often the herbs are in plastic packaging, too.  I like to see my herbs fresh so that I can see if anything is turning underneath and feel if the leaves are still pliable and not drying out.

Scent, too, especially for rosemary, thyme.  Important for freshness.

There is one other market where I can buy fresh herbs because WF also carries pre-packaged herbs and does not always have anything besides parsley.

Flat parsley, btw.  The curly parsley-never used.  Always thought that was for foo -foo decoration.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh