Valued Contributor

Re: Whole Foods - Worth a Trip?

I love our Whole Foods! If you (or another family/friend is willing to share) Prime codes, you really get some great deals! All organic/natural products & super fresh produce. Their pizzas are HUGE! And I love roaming the aisles for new stuff I never knew existed. They have the best selection of all around organic food stuffs. Only other place I get produce is Wegmans. Our Giant & Weis stores are ok for staple items. We have a Lidl & Shop Rite but I have never been in either & I avoid Aldi & Walmart like the plague (questionable shoppers & employees at least in my local area). Fresh Market I now avoid after seeing an employee spit in the sink in the prepared section in the middle of the store-this happened twice! And yes I told a manager both times!

Tons of grocery stores (and multiples of each) within a half hour drive
....I'm usually at Wegmans, Weis or Whole Foods 95% of the time for groceries!
Honored Contributor

Another thing I love about WF is that it's so much easier to find *humanely raised* meats of all types.  That's just as important to me as organic.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I purchase a lot of organic fruits/veggies....Costco has a significant selection.  What I can't buy there, I depend on Trader Joe's, Sprouts, Whole Foods.  Whole Foods has our beloved balsamic vinegar.  They also have weekly discounts for prime members that can be rewarding.  I have noticed changes at Whole Foods since the Amazon purchase.

Respected Contributor

Not worth the trip; their prices are unjustifiably high.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I will say Whole Foods has such beautiful produce!!!  And a lot of organic and specialty choices.....their prepared meals and other already prepared food is good......

Now Trader Joe's is another story---their prepared and frozen stuff was BLAH...and even their chips and snacks were stale and I checked the expiration dates---NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL!! I dont shop there anymore!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Frequent Contributor

I had cancer so I eat everything organic. Since Amazon the prices have gone down. My almond milk is 90 cents cheaper than sprouts.
Trader Joe's says everything is GMO free but nothing has the gmo label on it.
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

I will say Whole Foods has such beautiful produce!!!  And a lot of organic and specialty choices.....their prepared meals and other already prepared food is good......

Now Trader Joe's is another story---their prepared and frozen stuff was BLAH...and even their chips and snacks were stale and I checked the expiration dates---NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL!! I dont shop their anymore!

@Spurt, we have new and super nice WF about four or five miles away but a very close but old one as well. I go to the nearby one occasionally, but the produce is actually better about my supermarket.

I love our TJs. There are several things that I buy there every week, some of which I can't anywhere else. It's a very clean and organized store with great help. It's only a few blocks away.

We are very fortunate here to have so many choices.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I used to be impressed with Whole Foods and would occasionally drive to the next town to get seafood and produce but since Amazon purchased it I find nothing to be impressed about.  They have discontinued many items that I used to purchase.