Respected Contributor

Re: Whole Foods Stores and unhealthy packaging changes

In my area, Whole Foods was originally Fresh Fields. There was an in-house bakery, only used organic sugar, and all organic produce. I used to love going there - and I never liked grocery shopping.  Then they were bought out and there were negative changes, in my opinion.

The one that bummed me out the most was the use of refined sugar after previously saying how unhealthy it was.  The new party line was sugar is sugar, so the form is irrelevant.  From my own experience, I knew this was not true for me, so this was a major disappointment.

I feel Whole Foods is just a grocery chain with excellent PR.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't eat from the cold or hot food salad bar but will occasionally eat the food they serve from behind the glass yet the employees who work it are varied and don't follow a set pattern of policy rules - some wear gloves before scooping your food others don't.  One man was working the cutting board on the opposite side making prepared salads and labeling them to be placed on the shelves and his gloved hands periodically touched his head that he scratched.  So wearing gloves and never changing them yuk and between that task and serving the customers who want take out from the front of the glass is hardly healthy.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Whole Foods raised their Amazon Prime cost and yet people don't seem to mind because I guess they are using their kid's student discount while others maybe are unable to do that understand that the price hike is to compensate for the discount they are receiving at the cash register.  I would buy the Nature Path cereal specifically the oatmeal with blueberry or the oatmeal with apple and cinnamon and it is sold elsewhere for less by well over a dollar, same with the Amy brand frozen pizza with califlower crust and many other products...kind of makes it foolish to buy at Whole Foods.  I price checked the organic frozen fruit and organic frozen vegetables and that too overpriced.  Some think it's better when it's more expensive; I don't.