Honored Contributor

I think there's little beside high prices to separate Whole Foods from the pack.  So many stores today offer natural & organic foods, high-end bakery and prepared foods, and a variety of high-quality produce.  Some people probably go to be seen as WF has a certain snob appeal.  Oh, their greeting card selection is pretty good - not the usual fare.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@scraphappy wrote:

A doctor I worked with summed it up well,  "Whole Foods, whole paycheck."

ITA

I rarely shop there.  The prices, especially on produce, are egregious.  I occasionally buy their siggis yogurt when it's on sale and their chicken broth.   

It's ridiculously overpriced.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

I love the store but it's 12 miles from us...wish they would build one closer. Hence, I only go twice a month and mainly for produce and items I can't get elsewhere/closer. I also wish they would put out a circular in our local Wednesday paper like all the other grocery stores do in our area so I can better pick the weeks to go based upon sales.

I also find it's fun shopping there Smiley Happy

@Susan Louise I'm pretty sure you can find their weekly flyer online.  I  know they have an app now for coupons and other deals. 

@Cakers3  Thanks for your help, but the listing of sale items online is never complete. For example, I have to call every week to find out which Zevia soda (if any) is on sale...which is frustrating.

And their online coupons can only be used by using their app. I only carry a 17 yr old flip phone, so unfortunately, Whole Foods is not all that customer friendly in that regard. I have complained many times about that Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

I love the store but it's 12 miles from us...wish they would build one closer. Hence, I only go twice a month and mainly for produce and items I can't get elsewhere/closer. I also wish they would put out a circular in our local Wednesday paper like all the other grocery stores do in our area so I can better pick the weeks to go based upon sales.

Me too!

@HappyDaze  They also need to bottle and sell the scent in the air at Whole Foods...just the perfect combo of herbs (it smells like to me...lol)...

Maybe they can make a candle that scent! Smiley Very Happy

lol @Susan Louise very true! It is just a neat, tidy, clean store. It always is bright and cheery too. I like that I can also recycle just about everything there- I bring my used water filters, plastic lids (our garbage company doesn't take plastic lids), and plastic bags into them.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

Another store I don't care for. For those keeping score, that's Whole Foods, Aldi's and Trader Joe's. 

I'm just a traditional go to the regular grocery store kind of girl. 

Hi gidget!  I like Trader Joe's for chicken broth, some wine, the applegate lunchmeat and a few produce items.  I don't buy anything else there--oh--other than their cards--their cards are .99 and are great!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

Me too!

@HappyDaze  They also need to bottle and sell the scent in the air at Whole Foods...just the perfect combo of herbs (it smells like to me...lol)...

Maybe they can make a candle that scent! Smiley Very Happy

lol @Susan Louise very true! It is just a neat, tidy, clean store. It always is bright and cheery too. I like that I can also recycle just about everything there- I bring my used water filters, plastic lids (our garbage company doesn't take plastic lids), and plastic bags into them.

@HappyDaze  Too bad we didn't live closer. Sounds like we'd have fun shopping together! Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

My nephew manages one. I have only been in there once. It was packed. I think its an expensive place to shop. The store was spotless and had a  lot of deli stuff which looks good, but  I could tell right off it wasn't for me

Honored Contributor

Whole Foods is an Austin-based store, so they're all over town. When they opened their flagship store downtown a few years ago, it had a full double-page map in the local paper and was such a big deal that Sandra Bullock even mentioned it on Letterman. So when I say it's overrated, take that into consideration. Austin also benefits from the fact that Whole Foods has forced the main grocery store in the area, HEB, to compete seriously. My HEB stores have huge sections for natural and organic foods, herbal teas, specialty cheeses, and other things you normally would have to get at Whole Foods.

I like Whole Foods for speciality items and I love their prepared foods section. I don't do a lot of grocery shopping there because they are limited in terms of what they offer and they are overpriced. But I do stop by a few times a month to pick up prepared items like their soups, breads, pizza, chicken salads, etc.

Honored Contributor

Re: Whole Foods Store

[ Edited ]

@Susan Louise wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@HappyDaze  Too bad we didn't live closer. Sounds like we'd have fun shopping together! Smiley Very Happy

Oh that would be fun @Susan Louise! We could do some lunch and/or coffee/tea/beer (lol they do serve beer there too!) there and then shop. Smiley Happy'

I like to shop there around the Holidays too- there are fun things to pick up for stocking stuffers and for the kids.

Honored Contributor

They only put them in areas with high incomes where I live....Bill Gates has one in his neighborhood........