Respected Contributor

Re: Whoa so Smokey here today in all of MD

I am here in Upstate New York ... on the St. Lawrence River right on

the Canadian Border ... we had smoke haze all day today .. my

neighbor opened her door to get a package and her smoke alarm went

off ....Smelled like someon had a camp fire going .....

Respected Contributor

The smoke is bad here in Philadelphia.  For me, it's the same reaction that I get from seasonal allergies.  And every now and then, in addition to seeing the haze in the air, I get a whiff of the smoke, they said on the news that you may be able to smell it.  Sounded farfetched, but yep,it is true.  Please stay healthy, friends.

Trusted Contributor

We live in MA and it was bad today.  The sun was blocked out.  We did get some rain but it really did not help.   

My nose burns and my eyes.   

Trusted Contributor

We've been aware of it all day in NY city.  The sky looked very weird and the smell was so pronounced that people thought a fire was nearby; we expected to hear sirens until we knew what it was.  It is supposed to last through tomorrow - the forecast is for "smokey sun".

Respected Contributor

Hello everyone.  I live in Nova Scotia.  We have had a terrible week with evacuations, flare ups, traffic jams and everything else that goes along with wildfires out of control.  The fire near where I live is now 100% under control and the evacuation zones are slowly reopening.  150 homes burned to the ground.  The reports are, given labour and materials shortage, it will take up to two years to build a replacement home. Day cares burned out, businesses and homes.

The worst fire in our history in southern Nova Scotia is 26,000 hectares in size.  Mind boggling.

The good news is we just had 120mm of rain which has helped bring it in control.  We have support from around the country, from the US and from as far away as Costa Rico.  There was a crew here from Montana who have moved on to help with the fires in Quebec.

This is the worse fire season by far.  We are in a city of 500,000 people and there are some subdivisions on the outskirts with one way in and one way out.  I am in one of those.  We had a scare Thursday.  Thank God they got it under control.  I was going door to door to let neighbours know.

I hope we never experience anything like this again.  I can truly say there, but for the grace of God, go I.  Packing a go bag puts it all in perspective.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom1  Praying for you and all impacted there.  Please stay safe.

Our local news in the DC metro area this morning just said there are 240 uncontrolled fires still raging in eastern Canada.  Over 400 fires, but 240 still uncontrolled -- incredibly scary.

They're advising some in our area (I'm less than 10 miles outside DC) to stay inside today if they really don't need to go outside.  We're under a Code Red air quality.

Super Contributor

Had to shut all my windows it was so bad ! Northern NJ 

Respected Contributor

I live in central, coastal New Jersey and the smokey haze here looks like fog at times.  You can smell the smoke as well.  If you're driving, you can see some areas are worse than others.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

I'm in the midwest and the smoke here from Canadian fires was crazy thick for nearly 2 weeks and is finally letting up. I don't know if it's the same cause for the east coast. 

Esteemed Contributor

@bmorechick wrote:

The haze is unreal here near the MD beach...spoke with family in Baltimore and points north and definitely heavy haze there.  And we can smell it.  I cannot wrap my head around what it must be like where the fires actually are burning.  Thinking of those firefighters.

@bmorechick ...  we have the san\me thing in New Jersey.  Supposedly it comes from fires in Canada.