Honored Contributor

Re: Who would you lunch with today, where at and what would you discuss?

I know the question is "who" and not a "what"...but I would love to take another walk down to the park with my sweet golden retriever and enjoy our lunch together under our favorite tree. Her favorite thing to eat was a few slices of apple that I cut up just for her. I miss her so much...

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Also my paternal grandmother.  She died when I was a baby.  I always admired how strong she was from stories I have heard, I'd ask her a million questions. She was born in Italy and came to the US as a very young woman.

Lunch with my grandmother as well. She was an immigrant from Germany, strong in her beliefs.

We would get dressed, white cotton gloves would be a must. She didn't drive  so we would take the bus downtown to the department store and lunch at their restaurant with the white tablecloth tables and the silver service.

Trusted Contributor

Jesus

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

oops

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I know the question is "who" and not a "what"...but I would love to take another walk down to the park with my sweet golden retriever and enjoy our lunch together under our favorite tree. Her favorite thing to eat was a few slices of apple that I cut up just for her. I miss her so much...

I am with you on this.  I thought of my little Molly, who I miss dearly. She's been gone about a year now, miss her a lot.

Honored Contributor

Although I would cherish more moments with loved ones who have passed, I would not want to have to say goodbye again.  Too painful.  The situation reminds me of the song by Diamond Rio that became popular after 9/11, "One More Day."   

I would not be able to let go.

Honored Contributor

I would love to have one more extended family dinner in my grandparents front yard.   The food was set out on  plywood tables, held up by saw horses, covered with white bedsheets.  

Platters of fried chicken, meatloaf, sliced ham, potato salad, baked beans, baked macaroni and cheese, fresh green beans, sliced tomatoes and cucumbers, banana pudding, coconut and chocolate pies, gallons of sweet tea, and coffee made in Papaws big 25 cup coffee maker.   

It was time to eat when Uncle Westley gathered everyone around for the blessing, spoken loud and clear in his firm, deep voice.   Our last big gathering was around 1970; a few short years before the family started dying off.  

I feel extremely blessed to have had these family moments,  that have enriched my life, and given me peace with the loss of all those who were so dear to me.   Outside of my mom, 2 brothers, and 3 cousins, everyone else is in Heaven waiting on us for the next family gathering.   

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop  How absolutely fabulous that your kin made such an effort. My grandmother had that belief, too.

And posters say "it's too much to bother with".

Esteemed Contributor

Enjoyed reading your answers.

Grandparents' front yard; Tryon, NC. Under the weeping willow tree with grandparents, parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins. Casual early dinner picnic as we play, laugh, talk and watch the sun set. I knew it was a special time as a child. Families would coordinate their vacations and come from North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida and Missouri. I remember peeking over at my grandparents - holding hands in their chairs -- smiling contently at their flock. The last year we were all together. The next year, my mom died of cancer. I was 12. Lost my grandfather two years later. Between death, aunt/uncle divorce, cousins going to VietNam, marriage and moving away or going to college, it was a dominoes effect after that perfect summer.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

I lunched with my nephew at the golf course after we played. It's a private course where my Dad was one of the original members, and now my nephew is a member. We talked a lot about his memories of being out there with grandpa when he was a little boy. The only thing that could've made it better would have been if Dad was there. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~