Respected Contributor

Re: Who would you all contact about this situation?

[ Edited ]

@151949  Paragraph copied from the webpage of the Smithfield East End Cemetery.

"A new chapter in the cemetery’s history began in 2002 when the Smithfield church (now Smithfield United Church of Christ) relinquished ownership to The Homewood Cemetery—its neighbor across the street. The new arrangement continues to provide a high level of service and commitment to preserve its significant history—particularly that of Pittsburgh’s early German population and their valuable contributions to the city’s and country’s growth."

If you and DH have already discussed the conditions with the current owners  at The Homewood Cemetery I am not sure where you go from there.  Perhaps someone at the Smithfield United Church of Christ or if that proves fruitless, perhaps the Mayor's Office or may-be Marty Griffin (KDKA) can provide information that may be helpful.

@sunshine45  Looks like we were posting at the same time.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Allegheny wrote:

@151949  Paragraph copied from the webpage of the Smithfield East End Cemetery.

"A new chapter in the cemetery’s history began in 2002 when the Smithfield church (now Smithfield United Church of Christ) relinquished ownership to The Homewood Cemetery—its neighbor across the street. The new arrangement continues to provide a high level of service and commitment to preserve its significant history—particularly that of Pittsburgh’s early German population and their valuable contributions to the city’s and country’s growth."

If you and DH have already discussed the conditions with the current owners  at The Homewood Cemetery I am not sure where you go from there.  Perhaps someone at the Smithfield United Church of Christ or if that proves fruitless, perhaps the Mayor's Office or may-be Marty Griffin (KDKA) can provide information that may be helpful.

@sunshine45  Looks like we were posting at the same time.

Now there is another company involved - they bought both Homewood and Smithfield AND Allegheny in Lawrenceville. 

And , unfortunately, Smithfield Church is no longer a congregational church - they joined up with a Methodist church in the 1970s and now that church has pretty much taken over and they are now Smithfield United Church - so much of the German history and culture that was there when I was a child are all gone.I left when that happened and joined a different congregational church, as did many others. 

Honored Contributor

Can you get your money back and make other arrangements?

Honored Contributor

I would report this mess to the local news!  Not only is this cemetary a historical site, but common decency dictates that whatever company purchased it should be made to care.  Nothing shames these companies more than having their dirty laundry come into everyone's living rooms at dinner time.

Makes me angry.  By neglecting the cemetary they are in essence giving every one buried there the middle finger!

OH.... and notify the newspaper too!!  Woman Mad

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

As an owner of lots there,mi would think that, given the company's promises to provide a high level of maintenance, you might be able to file suit, simply to get them to live up to those promises. In addition, because the overgrown cemetery could be a health hazard easily harbor into various vermin, the local health department might take action if you bring it to their attention. Everyone has had such good advice for you. I would go in there mAnd fight on several fronts using multiple ideas in these posts. 

Respected Contributor

sorry for my typos. I dictated into iPad and did not edit!

Honored Contributor

It is a rite every spring and early summer to have a Saturday set aside for everyone to go to the cemetery and clean off the graves.  Everyone with relatives buried there turns out.  I don't think you can expect perpetual care in reality.  There are just too many graves in small cemeteries across the country.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

If you have a local new channel that has a reporter that does local stories and helps folks with problems I would contact them and ask them to do a story on the cemetary AND the new owners. I think it would be an interesting story and they would probably go with it. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

Can you get your money back and make other arrangements?

You missed the point. The point is about lack of respect for the people who are already buried there and the families who come to visit them. It is all about RESPECT for our ancestors. Otherwise , we would just cremate everyone and throw the ashes in a hole somewhere.

Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

I would report this mess to the local news!  Not only is this cemetary a historical site, but common decency dictates that whatever company purchased it should be made to care.  Nothing shames these companies more than having their dirty laundry come into everyone's living rooms at dinner time.

Makes me angry.  By neglecting the cemetary they are in essence giving every one buried there the middle finger!

OH.... and notify the newspaper too!!  Woman Mad

Exactly.