Respected Contributor

Re: Who would you all contact about this situation?

That's one of the reasons why I do not wish to be buried in a cemetery. It puts a burden in someone to care for it. It's a shame
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

The church is not legally responsible for maintaining property that they no longer own.

I don't think anyone said anything about anyone being legally responsible. However, someone is certainly MORALLY responsible.  I have also considered contacting the historic society since this is a historic landmark and see what they may do.

Respected Contributor

it's a small world...just wanted to mention the name of the cemetary I was referring to is Royal Palms in St. Petersburg, FL.

on 58th and Central Ave.  Since it is such a small world, anyone out there have family buried there?

Esteemed Contributor

Good luck trying to enforce what someone should morally do.

This is why my dad and I scattered my mother's ashes.

If I want to visit with her, all I have to do is look inside my heart.

Honored Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

it's a small world...just wanted to mention the name of the cemetary I was referring to is Royal Palms in St. Petersburg, FL.

on 58th and Central Ave.  Since it is such a small world, anyone out there have family buried there?

The one I am referring to is Smithfield East End cemetery in Pittsburgh.

Honored Contributor

My first thought, as I was reading your post, was to contact the news department of one of your local tv stations. Then I saw you mention that as a possibility. That's what I'd do. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

The one I am referring to is Smithfield East End cemetery in Pittsburgh.

interesting information on their website.... have you been in contact with the homewood cemetery and what did they have to say? maybe you should contact the historical society of the area? perhaps contact your local news stations to see if they will do a story about it?

A new chapter in the cemetery’s history began in 2002 when the Smithfield church (now Smithfield United Church of Christ) relinquished ownership to The Homewood Cemetery—its neighbor across the street. The new arrangement continues to provide a high level of service and commitment to preserve its significant history—particularly that of Pittsburgh’s early German population and their valuable contributions to the city’s and country’s growth.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately since then another company has purchased both Smithfield and Homewood cemeteries. And they are the ones who are the problem. They are doing slightly better at Homewood because it is larger and has a lot of local big wigs buried there. These 2 cemeteries are across the street from each other so when I needed water my first thought was to go get it at Homewood but they had no water there either.

Esteemed Contributor

First of all @151949 I think it is really nice of you and your husband to do that especially for other grave sites that aren't your family members. I would try to contact the new company again both by phone and mail. Send a certified letter so you know it was received and who signed for it. I would explain to them exactly what you explained here about how difficult it is for others to visit (especially seniors) and how upset they were. Seeing as how people paid for this to be maintained it would seem someone is responsible for this once it was sold. By the way, exactly what did they say when you talked to them the first time and who did you talk to? I mean were they even in a position to help and if not, make sure you get in touch with someone who is in that position.

I would also call the church that did own it. Of course they do not own it now but people did pay for the maintenance to be done you would think that some sort of arrangement was in place concerning who was responsible for that.  Did the new company agree to keep up with the maintenance and if they did perhaps the church would be willing to give you a copy of that. If that wasn't agreed upon I would still talk with the church and let them know just what you let us know, that people paid for that maintenance and that is not being kept up at all. 

If you cannot seem to get a straight answer or anyone on either side that seems to have any concern at all, I would call them back and send another certified letter informing them you are going to take this to social media along with informing the local news. Since this was land given to the church by William Penn it could have some local historical interest. Taking this to social media and letting the public know the name of the company  (and church) that bought this land isn't maintaining what people paid for. 

Now using social media for complaints doesn't always work but I have found more times than not that most companies really care about their image and would rather not have the bad press especially in the day and age where that stuff goes viral rather quickly. 

I would at least give it a try. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

Last year DH & I paid this company for our interrement and our headstones so I do have a receipt at home with the companies name on it. Unfortunately that is in Florida, but if I have to I can get my friend to go to my house and find it in our file cabinet.I think all I need to do is go to the office and ask for the name of the company.