Honored Contributor

Re: Who taught you to drive?

My then boyfriend was a professional race car driver out of Santa Cruz. 

Lucky me Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

My parents were so incredibly strict with me, I wasn't allowed to get my license till I graduated high school.

So I didn't take driver's ed till my senior year.

For my 18th birthday, later that summer, I bought myself a Pontiac Firebird.  First of three.

Trusted Contributor

I took a driver's training course in high school, but never really drove after that.  When I met my then husband, his father was a former driving instructor, and he taught me.  He also was my high school homeroom teacherSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Eliana wrote:

I took a driver's training course in high school, but never really drove after that.  When I met my then husband, his father was a former driving instructor, and he taught me.  He also was my high school homeroom teacherSmiley Happy

That was me, too.  My father was like @Lucky Charm 's father, very strict.

But when I got to college, I was on my own and drove all the time.

Esteemed Contributor

My dad. He would take me driving in empty parking lots when I was really little and I would sit on his lap and steer. When I got to be around 10 or 11 he would let me drive all by myself. He used to take me to my elementary school parking lot on the weekends when it was empty and that is where I learned my 3 point turn and parallel park. I knew how to drive a stick by the time I was 12 or so. Good memories. He loved Mini Ripperton and would bring that tape in the car and listen to it while I drove around. He would let me drive as long as I wanted to. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Super Contributor

Driver's ed but my dad tried to teach me how to drive a stick and that was painful...so...my friends taught me how to drive my stick shift.

Respected Contributor

@Lion wrote:

My dear, very patient dad  and driver's ed class.    Dad was a wonderful teacher and was so patient when I wanted to go out practice driving every evening after dinner as my test date drew closer.

Mom tried going practive driving with me just once and that was enough for both of us.   LOL     She was so nervous that she almost caused me to have an accident.     

___________________________________________________-

Hi @Lion, it is good to see you!

I could have written the same post.  My father taught me and had the patience of Job.  Mom not so much.  LOL!

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Eliana wrote:

That was me, too.  My father was like @Lucky Charm 's father, very strict.

But when I got to college, I was on my own and drove all the time.

I don't know if you were an *only child*, but I was the youngest of five. 

My brothers and sisters took driver's ed at 15 and drove when they were 16.

Not me!  I think my parents thought I'd be trouble.  lol

I wasn't allowed to date until my senior year!  Little did they know I was already *seeing* my boyfriend (now husband) before that!

When I told them that years later (probably in my 30's) the first thing my dad said was "You're grounded!"  Ha ha.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm

Yes, an only child with an older strict father.  No dating until my senior year of high school.  But the senior high church youth group got away with a lot, especially when we went off to summer camp together and weekend retreats Smiley LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Great stories!

I've enjoyed reading all of your replies!Heart and Woman LOL