Trusted Contributor

Re: Who taught you to drive?

My dad.  I grew up on a farm and first learned to drive the tractors at around age 10 -11.  Then I learned to drive the pickup but had to stay on our farm until I got my learner's permit at 15 1/2.  

Got my license at 16, then took driver's ed when a junior in high school - only so my parents got a break on the car insurance.  

Honored Contributor

My dad didn't want me to drive and I really didn't want to either.  My mother didn't drive and she was tired of having to fit herself in his schedule so one day she arranged for us to take lessons together and we took a bus to the driver's training.  My dad did take me out driving and found me to be a competent driver.  Several years later, I wanted 4 wheel drive since I lived in the country and at that time they were all stick so I went with a truck driver friend and I bought one.  He showed me how to drive it and spent hours that day with me and 40 years later I still drive one and would only drive an automatic in an extreme emergency.

Honored Contributor

Driver's Ed class. Dad started me out. HE was not a teacher. You should hear how he thought we should learn to swim. Also, he wasn't known for patience.

Esteemed Contributor

My dad.

He taught me how to drive a stick shift, and he was so patient with me. He never freaked out once.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

High school driver's ed and my father.  I attended a school about 8 miles away from my town, and while I had my learner's permit, I drove myself with him coaching me.  It was quality time for me, and I think for him, too. 

He preferred a stick shift (he drove a Rambler, remember them?) so that's what I learned on, though the cars I've had have all been automatics.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:

For me it was my dad. OMG he was so patient even on the Autobahn.

My dad taught me.....then my parents made all of us kids take Drivers Ed before they would let us go out alone....I taught my first child......after that nerve wracking experience (and she was a good driver.....but...scary experience)  i had my other children learn through a driving school...............

Honored Contributor

My wonderful Dad. 

I was such a late bloomer that I was afraid to take Drver's Ed, and I didn't get my license untl a year after I was age eligible.

I still drive as he taught me, amd not always as DH, a former Driver Ed teacher, drives.

Although he did a great job teaching me the fundamentals, and I passed my driver test on the first try, my father was nevr able to teach me "three on the column" and I think learning "four on the floor" came as a combination of DH and myself.

I love to drive a car with a stick transmission, but rarely have the chance to anymore.

Speaking of stick shifts, does anyone remember when you had to pass a second test to drive a stick shift if you passed your test on a car with automatic transmission?

Esteemed Contributor

My grandfather taught me.  I remember it well, he was a very good sport.

Honored Contributor

My fiance and now dear husband.  And still we married a few years later. Smiley Happy  He had a lot of patience in teaching me the fundamentals of driving, and did a great job in doing so.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Respected Contributor

I didn't get my driver's license until after I was married. Took an adult driver ed course at the school where DH was teaching. Always kept a license even though I seldom drive.