Honored Contributor

Re: Who taught you to drive?

My dear sweet Mother, bless her heartHeart

I was taught on a stick shift up and down the Ozark backroads.

Respected Contributor

My dad.  Even before I was old enough he would have me sit on his lap to drive around big empty parking lots.  I passed the test on the first try.  Back in my day that rarely happened.  Thanks, Dad. 

Trusted Contributor

I took drivers Ed in high school and practiced at home with Dad.  I learned on a push button automatic.  I got my driver's license without parallel parking, knowing how to do a K turn or how to drive standard shift.    I met my future husband 2 weeks before I started my senior year.   When he learned all of this he was disgusted with my school.  He had his grandfather's 1949 Plymouth that had been gifted to him.  It was in mint condition and was his pride and joy.  (It was 1961).   A couple of months later he took me to the steepest long country road in our area.  He stopped the car and said I was going to learn to drive standard.   I was a mess.  I could not get my feet coordinated to work the gas and clutch pedals.   Lots of tears but no good.  I kept telling him I was going to take his trans mission out.  He just patiently said if I did I would help him replace it.  I know amount of time later I got to the top of the hill.  I had done it and still had the trany in tact.  After this he taught me to do a K turn and parallel park.   Could not believe it but he never gave up on me.   We were married the following November.  We had a wonderful 32 years together.  He passed young after a 15 year illness.  Ladies make memories to last a lifetime.  

Respected Contributor

Cool question, thanks OP.  Took me back (I'm 65)  My grandfather taught me how to drive when I was 12 years old. He worked for a brick making factory and they had a small park with a pavilion and ball diamond. There was a long driveway leading into the park hardly anyone used it because the park area was for his job picnics so he would have me drive up and down the driveway. He was the best grandpa ever !

Honored Contributor

My dad taught me to drive in empty parking lots when I was about ten.

Esteemed Contributor

Driver Ed teachers as in the one in school and then the one my dad hired. lol. (I ran over a curb with my dad in the car and some lady who was gardening in her yard ran for her life. lol..thus he hired the teacher). I passed my test on the first try too.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Self taught. One of my sister's drove OUR car to a huge Arena parking lot, and I took the wheel from there. I watched how she, and my brother-in-law drove, and learned the mechanics of driving that way.

Learned in a 1947 Chevy 4-door sedan. It was a 3 speed/vacuum shift/shift stick on the steering column. Think I was 14 when I went in half on that car with my sister. Part of our agreement was that every Sunday she would drive me to that parking lot and let me drive OUR car.

Lot had hills, so could practice using the clutch without the car rolling backwards. It had sign poles where I could work on my reaction and maneuverability steering the car through those posts, each pass through them was at a faster speed.

Practiced backing up/parallel parking and stopping close to a mark we chalked onto the pavement. You could not see the mark until it was time to stop. Then we measured how close the front wheels of the car were to the mark. Not easy to do.

Worked out well for me. Drove and towed Drag Racing Cars all around the Midwest for almost 20 years. Never wrecked any of my race cars or towing vehicles? Been driving 60 years and not in 1 motor vehicle accident when I was the driver.

What can I say, other than I had a great teacher, and paid attention to all the tiny details I taught me. I never have claimed modesty is one of my virtues when it comes to driving any motor vehicle.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

I took Drivers Ed in high school. However, my driving instuctor, nicknamed Popeye routinely fell asleep....brave man wasn't he?  So, basically, you could say I taught myself. The other student was a guy in my class and we still laugh about teaching ourselves to drive when we see each other at reunions. 

That same year my boyfriend taught me to drive a stick shift....his baby blue VW bug. 

Honored Contributor

Drivers Ed & my father

An ex paramour taught me how to drive a stick! yahoo.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Ummmm...........a race car driver............and I still have some "baaaaaaad" habits (!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥