Honored Contributor

Re: Who taught you to drive?

My father - not the most pleasant experience, lol.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lion wrote:

My dear, very patient dad  and driver's ed class.    Dad was a wonderful teacher and was so patient when I wanted to go out practice driving every evening after dinner as my test date drew closer.

Mom tried going practive driving with me just once and that was enough for both of us.   LOL     She was so nervous that she almost caused me to have an accident.     

Hi @Lion  Heart  haven't seen you around  in a while.  So happy to read your post. Smiley Happy  Hope you are doing well.

I took drivers ed and my parents taught me.

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Super Contributor

My Dad taught me in the cemetary of all places. Guess he felt I couldn't mess up there. In 1980, my husband bought me a little Toyota Tercel, 5 speed. He taught me to drive it and I loved shifting the gears. His comment while he was teaching me, "can a husband sue his wife for whiplash?" In 1994 and 98 I ordered Pontiac Firebird Trans Ams. I ordered stick for both of them. I kept them for show cars, but still drive them and my 81 Corvette. Love "Muscle Cars." 

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

My Dad taught me to drive when I was very young.  He was a formula 1 race car driver.  

Fabulous! I had driver's ed and one of the students in my car almost backed us off a cliff. Why were we there in the first place?! I was in the back seat and all I saw was sky out the back window.

Respected Contributor

Private instructor

Esteemed Contributor

Driver Ed in school

Driver Ed AAA (American Auto Association)

Parents wanted no part of it.  I just could not park the car and baking up was such a  chore.  Going forward was my speciality.  Even my driver ed teachers had to put gum wrappers on the windshield so I could follow exact  one line to another  to pass.  

And most recently in our State they have ended the dreaded parallel parking part.  I know one of the examiners and he said they were tired of having people come back many many times to pass. Seems I was not alone.  

Trusted Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

My Dad taught me to drive when I was very young.  He was a formula 1 race car driver.  

That is so cool!  Did you always worry about your dad?  What a dangerous career.

My mother did most of my driving instruction, but I did take driver ed in high school.  My DH currently teaches driver ed as a part time retirement job.  He is so patient with his students.  I could never do it. 

Respected Contributor

driver's ed for a standard.  My boyfriend for a stick shift.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Trusted Contributor

An instructor from a driving school.

Trusted Contributor

@biancardi wrote:

driver's ed for a standard.  My boyfriend for a stick shift.

@biancardi  LOL!  Sorry; I see a big pun there!